Powder Coat Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a Higgins flightliner for my mother in law, it was powdered but I used rattle can for the white accents on the rack, just masked and used a scuff pad to rough it up, cleaned it down and sprayed it.

That sounds good. Clear coating the accents only, or should powder be cleared coated as well?

I've had worse. Like this Schwinn I dug up in my back yard.
IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Don't know for sure. I've lived in this house since 1987 so it's older than that, I'm guessing the previous owners might have dumped it by the creek or judging from the holes in the frame, the previous-previous owner may have used it for target practice. I heard stories from my now deceased next door neighbor about how many rabbits they terminated back there. I spotted the top of the headset sticking out of the shore line one day and decided to dig it out. It was probably a Collegiate or Varsity, kinda hard to tell even after I cleaned it up (removed the sod). It went to metal recycle.

I would just use that frame the way it is. Powder probably won't hide pitting like that. Don't think powder can be applied over Bondo due to the heat. If you're not after a smooth show bike use it as is.

Last edited:
How about plain black non-gloss paint. Then it would look like antique wrought iron.

I would just use that frame the way it is. Powder probably won't hide pitting like that. Don't think powder can be applied over Bondo due to the heat. If you're not after a smooth show bike use it as is.

True! PC won't stick to bondo, & no, powder coat will not hide that pitting either! I'm with rickpaulos, flat or matte black hides imperfections pretty well!

Ok, so we've established that...
PC will show your pits, but is it PC to show your pits?:grin:

On a serious note though, can you clear over powder coat, and if so what type of clear?

Ok, so we've established that...
PC will show your pits, but is it PC to show your pits?:grin:

On a serious note though, can you clear over powder coat, and if so what type of clear?

No to showing your pits.

Any type of clear. Spray, brush on, shellac, varnish, clear powder coat.

The challenge of spraying clear is if you can see it , you put on too much. Go slow.

I powdercoat at home in my garage. I have had luck with using body filler in deep scratches on parts I powder. I used 3M brand body filler in a tube from Walmart. For extreme cases like yours you could try Lab Metal to fill in and sand smooth. That would give more metal to"electrify for the powder to cling to.

Latest posts

Back