Portland, Oregon VS ???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portland just made a pretty big claim... Game on :wink:
IMG_1150_zps9c843300.jpg

Downtown maybe. I can speak to this because that is home for me Colorado far more bike friendly

Portland is a HUGE bicycle city. I was in Eugene OR for a couple of months and they are not far behind. Both cities are very bike friendly!

I have never biked there but what I read on the internets suggest they can lay claim. They have a great advocacy group, Bike Portland, works well with the local government.

Here's what Bicycling said about stumptown:

"After being named runner-up in our last round of best bike city rankings in 2010, Portland reclaims the top spot. The only large city to earn Platinum status from the League of American Bicyclists is a paragon of bike-friendliness, with 180 miles of bike lanes and 79 miles of off-street bike paths. Always quick to embrace cyclist-friendly innovations, Portland was the first city in the United States to implement bike boxes at intersections and elementary-school bike commuting trains. Among the city's many bike shops is newcomer Go By Bike, which is located under the aerial tram and offers valet parking, rentals, and repairs."

Rounding out the Top 10:

2. Minneapolis
3. Boulder
4. Washington, D.C.
5. Chicago (which I think should be ranked higher)
6. Madison
7. New York City
8. San Francisco
9. Eugene
10. Seattle (Strange, considering our sister city to the north has the nation's second highest rate of daily bicycle commuting.)

Realy Seattle is ranked number 10 From the one trip to Portland I did in the summer, I didnt see as many bicycles as I normaly do in seattle. Our Mayor commutes by bicycle. Tucson is sorta bike friendly,lots of bike lanes and trails,and they have the Tour De Tucson there,but unfortenatly Tucson was the begining of the Ghost Bike, and it seems every Tour De Tucson there is a hit and run on a cyclist.

Latest posts

Back