Polishing Galvanized Conduit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Been thinking of how to make a sissy bar, theyre generally hard to find that actually fit a 26" and shipping one is painful.

So I have galvanized conduit and a bender and a vice. I can always cut a flat steel plug and hammer it into the end for the dropout mount and figure out a little crimp deal. BFH

BUT.... can I make it shiny
Screenshot_20190316-105644_Chrome.jpg

Hard to take pictures of SHINY. It didnt take long to get a reasonable shine that would be similar to nickel.
i think if I hit it with a buffer itll shine right up and not cut thru the galvanized. Might be easiest to polish while straight then just touch up any scuffed areas.

So whos up first?

Polished galvanized conduit creations. Lets hear how you got the job done.

You'll want to coat it in something after since the zinc should dull pretty quickly.

Looks great!
I use EMT fairly often, and it does polish up pretty good
It will bend to a tighter radius as well, but it does need a bender, I made mine from steel pulleys with a "V" groove in 'em

Good feedback, havent gotten any farther than a quick polish. May wax it or clear it. Ive had good luck on polished aluminum by baking turtle wax ice onto it. Get the part up to about 150 degrees and apply the "ice", keep working it in as it cools. Its some weird hybrid wax, but it works for this. I dont like it on car paint.

Got a long time build I keep messing with that would look good with a banana seat, or a loaf seat. How to mount it without spending much money is on my mind. Most of the sissy bars I see, cost more than I build a whole bike for.

Might make a sissy bar and a seat.
1) most banana seats arent comfortable, need a better shape with some contour
2) Shorty banana's on 26's look goofy to me

Looks great!
I use EMT fairly often, and it does polish up pretty good
It will bend to a tighter radius as well, but it does need a bender, I made mine from steel pulleys with a "V" groove in 'em
GOOD CALL. Done fuel and brake line bends across v pulleys. Didnt think about it for this, thatll get me the top loop. Might try a light post or phone pole too with some nails as guides.

I was standing in the garage anyway. Made a quick little mock up of how to add a support in the bolt area of the bottom of the sissy bar
Id protect the final version better or press it between some boards to have a more even bend pattern, maybe even router a form.
It can be accomplished pretty easy to give support at that joint for an adult rider instead of the sissy bars we use that were basically designed for kids.

Slam the steel plate in there, finish the squish, hammer the edge and grind to shape. Drill thru for a few mounting height options

I was standing in the garage anyway. Made a quick little mock up of how to add a support in the bolt area of the bottom of the sissy bar
Id protect the final version better or press it between some boards to have a more even bend pattern, maybe even router a form.
It can be accomplished pretty easy to give support at that joint for an adult rider instead of the sissy bars we use that were basically designed for kids.

Slam the steel plate in there, finish the squish, hammer the edge and grind to shape. Drill thru for a few mounting height options
Maybe it's my ADHD, but I looked and looked at the pictures trying to figure out what was going on. After giving up, I read the next post. Ah Ha! :bigsmile:

Limited exposures. Outside. Or with a fan. Or wear a respirator, that is why the mask is so big.

But also don't burn yourself, and be careful riding your bike in traffic, these are all risky undertakings

OSHA simply says to use vent and respirator, and grind back galv one inch, if possible

Locally, the rumor is "welding galvanized will make you sterile " There is zero support for this, and at 53 with 3 mostly grown kids, I say "bring it", but I have sporadicallywelded galv, chrome, paint etc since 2004 or so. Besides the health risks, these substances will contaminate your welds

What I am saying is: be careful, outside or with a fan, but don't let this stop you, whoever "you" may be

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back