poison Ivy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres the herc I got off a friend and finally got around to playing with idea's

could go a few ways with bars but ape's are what I have chosen
[/img]
flipped the reflector on the guard and shifted the guard around

plan to change the seat and have it sitting back on a lay back seat post,play around with paintwork a little,remove front guard as well

LukeTheJoker said:
I love the way the reflector sits perfectly with it flipped and the guard moved back! Nice work!

Luke.
thanx,when I moved the guard around,the reflector was the first thing to go but as I unscrewed it,it shifted around and thats when I knew it had to stay,I am going to cut and shape the the front of the rear guard in front of the seat stays to pretty it up,the wheels are oldskool 26"(around 27"modern size )so may put on some wide newer mtb 26" proper chromes as long as I can get some old style tread patterned 26" skinnies which will lower the bike,but will wait and see

Removed front fender

cut off front of rear fender just in front of the chrome retaining clip

I may single speed this 26" chromy and see how it goes,but still haven't got a nice black skinny tyre to go on it

Gdcast said:
I like it so far... don't ya ruin it now, keep up the good work :wink: :lol:
cheers,I have decided to stay with the original wheels even tho they are more rust than chrome,so........I have painted the rear fender,the rims and the front side of the chain guard flat black and will do the apes tomorrow,I intend to sand back only some of the rust parts that came through the original paint so it looks like the flat black paint was part of original color scheme,I may do some of the frame but don't want to go overboard so may just do the headtube,will finish off by doing handpainted "Poison Ivy" on downtube and chainguard and then come up with a motiff for the headtube,pic's to come

good ideas.

whats the hub date on the 3 speed hub?

looks like a late sixties, early 70s bike.

alecw35 said:
good ideas.

whats the hub date on the 3 speed hub?

looks like a late sixties, early 70s bike.
well I am surprised,its an AW modal so standard gearing but it has a date stamp of 82 9 on it making it newer than I imagined as I too was thinking early 70's to mid 70's,my thinking was that it would be 70's as the so called "26inch" tyre is bigger than a modern 26inch tyre which I imagined to be outdated/changed by the 80's,as far as I can tell it is all original and my friend supports this by saying the original owner had it from new and nothing was ever changed on it,so all I can think of was it was built to an older design,the hub is in top condition,as new chrome and even the front SA hub is in good chrome state

Ive got a Raleigh traveller that's similar, but a mans bike. Its 1979.

Those 26 X 1 3/8" tyres are the common size on these English roadsters. I think they still make bikes with them.

I think the 26 X 1.75....1.95 etc. that's common these days is an American size. That come from cruiser bikes. And then when the people started converting cruisers to mountain bikes, that's the size of wheel that they had.

alecw35 said:
Ive got a Raleigh traveller that's similar, but a mans bike. Its 1979.

Those 26 X 1 3/8" tyres are the common size on these English roadsters. I think they still make bikes with them.

I think the 26 X 1.75....1.95 etc. that's common these days is an American size. That come from cruiser bikes. And then when the people started converting cruisers to mountain bikes, that's the size of wheel that they had.
yer its kind of a pain when you take into account different countries sizing,my hercules was made by Raleigh who bought them out in the 90's I believe hence the similar look/build quality

so painted the chainguard,came out o.k,my problem is I try to go into too much detail rather than nice and simple and can mess it all up so stopped before that happened

scuffed it up abit

sanded back the fender to bring the rust through the flat black

scuffed up the rims to bring rust through

its getting there

have since painthed the apes and found a seatpost with a small layback but not really what I want

going to have to look at spraying parts of the frame flat black and scuff just enough to blend the fender and chainguard in,anyone know an easy way to quikly rust metal? apart from water and exposure to sun,only because the apes arn't rusty enough to do the same effect as the rims guard and fender,I had to primer the bars first then flat black it,came out o.k after sanding but has a different hue to it due to the gray primer

done more spraypainting,handlebars came out good after a little respray touch up

ended up painting the frame but not the lugwork

taped over the made in england decal,can't mess that up

splatered over the leaves to give a more warnout look

need to find a longer layback post and quilted style seat but this brooks will do

so gave a small donation at Wharebike our local bicycle space and scored some old lights,I gutted one of them,drilled a hole for an old button from a lamp(glows in the dark too)gutted a new LED light,glued in the new LED light internals inside the old light casing to have a working oldskool light

Latest posts

Back