Plain Jane

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I'm the only one here that's going to use a girls frame...

JanesBike1.jpg

I've already posted a pic of this in the build section, but I haven't had any motivation to do anything with it. Now I do! Awesome! I'm just thinking a "freshening up" of this one, but we all know how that goes... hehe!

Re: Middleweight Champion

You may not be the only one with a girl's frame......

LADY BIKE, LADY BIKE, LADY BIKE......YEAH! :wink:

So this is how far I got tonight without using the electric sander. I'm such a nice neighbor....

girlsbikeprogress1001.jpg

I was wondering if anyone here would recognize this serial number (font-wise...) if you can't read it, it reads 15577. Anyone's guess I assume?
girlsbikeprogress1002.jpg

don't think so... frame is just a little bit different.

i had never noticed the little blip under the "1". good eye! I guess it's not a 1... haha! oh well...

not sure what frame that is either but i dont think it is a schwinn look at where the top tube attaches to the headtube? never seen a schwinn attach so high on it. good luck and cool thinking out of the box.

Re: Middleweight Champion aka "Plain Jane"

Re-naming of the bike build is in effect. Middleweight champion proved to be too masculine and doesn't work with a girls frame. Name is now "Plain Jane".

As for the serial numbers, I did some more sanding today (man these closely tubed girls frames can be tough to sand with a big electric sander...) and discovered the number really is 15577 and it is also stamped on the seat tube but it reads K15577K. odd....

Guess it will just have to stay a mystery. Oh well, it's just a girls frame, haha!

Getting there....

girlsbikeprogress2.jpg

Does anybody have any tips for taking the chrome off of fenders? They are already chipping a little bit and I want to turn them into painted fenders. should i just get tougher grit sandpaper?

i usually burn chrome off, but no good for thin material - get alot of warping.

a good chrome plater should be able to reverse the process.

alot of italien road bikes are chromed with paint over the top - so i recon that to be the cheapest option.

WOW what did you use to remove the paint like that? or am i just that lazy and hate sanding?

Man, maybe you should just keep the chipped fenders and call her dirty Jane.
I new a Girl that danced at the local club she was called dirty Jane and im prety sure she had rusty fenders.lol

WOW what did you use to remove the paint like that? or am i just that lazy and hate sanding?

Haha, yeah... took some time. what i couldn't get with the electric sander (pretty much the whole front half of the frame) I did by hand. the stuff was on there good, and this thing has been painting over once or twice. couple of layers of blue and silver under all that red.

As for the fenders, im going to have to find a buddy that will let me use their air tools. funds are always low for college students, but i HATE cutting corners, so I'll have to find a compromise.

should have pics of a painted frame up in a couple days though.

HI, Jane appears to be a Cleveland welding made Hawthorne or something very like, probably from the later '50's. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me. :D
Scott 8)
godzilla98.gif

Here she is all primed and ready

girlsbikeprogress2001.jpg

HI, Jane appears to be a Cleveland welding made Hawthorne or something very like, probably from the later '50's. I'm not an expert though so don't quote me.

It'd be kinda cool if it was a hawthorne, because I just bought a guys hawthorne skip tooth and the matching pair would be oh so sweet. I'm too deep into this build now to start with a new bike though... haha! thanks for the info! I know nothing, so anything is a help

Latest posts

Back