Pinnochio-Done as it's gonna get

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I'm leaving the head tube long, so some people will be able to spot it. Most everyone will be able to spot my welds. I just have to try to be patient with my 110v flux core welder.
A Grinder and Bondo...It's like a bicycle nose job!

Bondo! Have considered it myself a couple times. If one was to go with paint and had some rough tins or wanted to give a welded bike a smooth brazed look, then utizing bondo and other auto body type methods wouldnt be a bad idea. Smoothing new/ugly welds like ones I would be laying down is an idea I hadnt thought of!

keep the rubber side down!

Bondo! Have considered it myself a couple times. If one was to go with paint and had some rough tins or wanted to give a welded bike a smooth brazed look, then utizing bondo and other auto body type methods wouldnt be a bad idea. Smoothing new/ugly welds like ones I would be laying down is an idea I hadnt thought of!

keep the rubber side down!
I'll see where my angle grinder and some good sharp files gets me first.

Still cutting stuff up today. Cut the rear triangle loose and made some extensions for the chain stays from a Schwinn exerciser.
016.JPG

017.JPG

Still need to fab a piece to rejoin the seat stays to the post. Probably not much going to happen on this between now and the weekend.
018.JPG

I took a stab at getting the big white letters off of the Beach Bum tires. I would say I had pretty good results with some orange cleaner/degreaser and some 0000 steel wool.
019.JPG

It left the sidewall sort of dull.
020.JPG

Wiped down with a damp cloth.
021.JPG

Will need to go over the entire sidewall to keep it from looking blotchy. Pretty good if you aren't interested in keeping the lettering.

I took a stab at getting the big white letters off of the Beach Bum tires. I would say I had pretty good results with some orange cleaner/degreaser and some 0000 steel wool.
View attachment 50707
View attachment 50708
View attachment 50709
Will need to go over the entire sidewall to keep it from looking blotchy. Pretty good if you aren't interested in keeping the lettering.
Thought about removing the lettering off mine but thinking I may try color matching mine to the bike

Looking good !!!

View attachment 50707
View attachment 50708
View attachment 50709
Back to black from the auto parts store might level the color out.

Hmmm, so orange cleaner and 0000 steel wool makes a tire look dull....kind of like it had been out in the sun for a few decades.....file this under "ways to age tires" OJ. You're going to use this.

Made some progress today. Have been trying to rehab some of the orphan bikes that have been piling up.
Any, I finished cutting the frame up, and got everything spaced to fit my sketch. Started bending some tube for the top and mid bars using my hi tech bender.
022.JPG
023.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

I'll start welding it back together this weekend after some fine tuning on the bends.

Started welding stuff back together today.
001.JPG

I got my chain stay extensions halfway installed.
002.JPG

The rest of the rear triangle will have to wait until I get my top bar fitted up. I also started welding my down tube back together. I had to cut it in two different places to get everything stretched in the right directions.
003.JPG

Last pic looks wonky, but everything isn't welded yet. I promise the head tube and the seat tube angles will match.

Still cutting, grinding, welding, filing, etc. Finished welding the down tube.
026.JPG

Started fitting the top bar.
027.JPG

I had a piece of 1.25" DOM tube that I made the top bar out of instead of the 1". This allowed me to cut a hole for the seat tube instead of cutting and welding two separate pieces.
006 (2).JPG

The larger tube will also help me to fit it up with the seat stays by flattening it. Here is a test fit I did with a piece of scrap.
030.JPG

Still need to fit the middle bar.

I started to address my seat post this weekend. Nowhere to put a clamp so I decided to make a quill type 5/8" post. Started with this:
032.JPG

And these:
033.JPG

Here's the plan:
034.JPG

The result:
035.JPG

036.JPG

Still need to make a wedge for the lower end of the post and cut to length. I'll give it a little test and decide if I need a gusset or not. I'm going to say yes.

Latest posts

Back