pinewood derby time!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bumpity bump! its about that time again :mrgreen:
lets see what you guys have come up with this year!
ill try to get some(incomplete) pics later of my boys....any bets on what itll be this year? hint....its a well known model a coupe

2011pinewood003.jpg

for some reason the color looks alot darker than what it really is(im guessing bad lighting :roll: )
my boy shot it yesterday(he got to use my little detail gun after 40 minutes of practicing to start/stop and not dump paint when he triggered it) and its starting to look like he'll be painting better than me at age 9 :shock:
ill try to get some pics after i get the graphics finished and we polish the axles.

sensor said:
2011pinewood003.jpg

for some reason the color looks alot darker than what it really is(im guessing bad lighting :roll: )
my boy shot it yesterday(he got to use my little detail gun after 40 minutes of practicing to start/stop and not dump paint when he triggered it) and its starting to look like he'll be painting better than me at age 9 :shock:
ill try to get some pics after i get the graphics finished and we polish the axles.

Nice! This was our last year so I challenged the other dads to a race in the adults/siblings class. 3 dads raced, that was fun. My son won for 'best sports theme' with his paint job. I'll have to get a pic of the car.

This years entry won my son 'Best Sport Theme' for paint.

pinewoodderby2011036.jpg

this is my entry that was soundly defeated!

pinewoodderby2011038.jpg

I've always wanted to do an adult version of pinewood derby, rule would be specified length, width, maximum weight, and anything else goes. Beer must be involved..................... :mrgreen:

Bryan51 said:
I've always wanted to do an adult version of pinewood derby, rule would be specified length, width, maximum weight, and anything else goes. Beer must be involved..................... :mrgreen:
Brilliant!

tehe i was the kid to beat the two times i did it. i also won at the boat and "rocket" races :mrgreen: the last two pinewood derbies they havent let me compete because i always win,ill try to get pics up of them soon

ej599 said:
Bryan51 said:
Brilliant!

A local racing circuit at a bar or two would be the best. Like a dart league.

CCR said:
oh man do i miss the pinewood derbies !!! i think my cars are still at my grandmas house ...

made it to grandmas house

first one is missing the wheels now, second one is mostly intact but a wheel got broke from being crammed in a drawer. Glad i found these though, loved building them and racing them as a kid !!!

IMG_8809.jpg

IMG_8808.jpg

CCR said:
CCR said:
oh man do i miss the pinewood derbies !!! i think my cars are still at my grandmas house ...

made it to grandmas house

first one is missing the wheels now, second one is mostly intact but a wheel got broke from being crammed in a drawer. Glad i found these though, loved building them and racing them as a kid !!!

IMG_8809.jpg

IMG_8808.jpg
thanks for posting those :mrgreen:
dont forget to post the ones you guys make(im guessing you boy is about tiger cub age soon)
yeah my boy drug home his uncles old cars a year or 2 back(both missing at least 1 wheel so i guess its common :lol: )
ill try to find the pictures of his coupe de cab one but for now heres the most recent....
IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

just a heads up for anyone whos son will be doing one...the axles slots on these are awful(this is the second one that exploded the night beore the race when we were final fitting/gluing them :x ) check and see if you can drill holes(here its fine as long as the wheelbase is the same)
we were both shocked to see his get 3rd in den(i figured itd be lucky to make it down the track once :lol: but the wood glue held to our amazement)

It's about that time again!
This year we decided to get away from the deuces and model A's....Were going 70's all the way!
Flake, Candy, and Lace,well if we can find any decent patterns in super miniature size. Oh and a van. 8)
Heres what were shooting for, but with a real paint job. :wink:
van.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

images

Yeah, Slim's wheelie van KICKS BUTT!!

From humble beginnings:
IMG_0074.jpg

But he's only about 2 hours into it so far. That will change once he realizes he needs to get rid of about 3/4's of the wood on the inside. :lol:
Wish the mag wheels were still legal for his pack but they don't allow them anymore. He's stoked on the flake,lace,and candy since it will make it "more 70's!".
That's my boy! :mrgreen:

My kids attended a scout pinewood derby race. I had some old cars from when we had a competition at work. Here are a couple of pictures. My boy is 6 right now and he has wanted this firebird for at least a year. I gave him the pink car and he was excited yet disappointed. He expressed excitement but I could see he really wanted the black car still. I let that go for about a week then asked if he wanted to trade. The reaction was definitely worth making him wait. He takes it with him just about wherever he goes. I cant wait until he can build his own. I may have to build a track at that time.

These cars were loosely based on a 1954 caddilac 1979 trans-am and a 1949-50 mercury. The merc has adjustable ride height. I turn two screws on the bottom and it raises the body so it can go down the track.

IMG_0027_zps5e987e61.jpg

IMG_0028_zps883e7662.jpg

IMG_0005_zps606753ff.jpg

IMG_0009_zps39bc88ab.jpg

4189de72-81f3-4758-bf87-710946376a0d_zps5549d853.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know if I have any pictures of his last one(Slims van tribute) finished but its in this video from when he was still a cub scout:

I'll see if I can find a picture of it. I didn't realized the video was that bad.

Pops built most of my first car, and with the block of wood they supplied most of the cars looked like dirt track cars. Dad carved mine into a boat tail Auburn. I don't even remember racing it. So, not long ago I found an old NOS kit from the 60's that has the original style wheels. Someday I'm going to build another Auburn...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back