Piece'd Together

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed a new ride for my hometowns Christmas parade this year and wanted to do something different. And I needed to use up some parts that had been collected over the past few years. This pic from the book 50 Years of Schwinn Built Bicycles published in 1945 that belonged to my Dad had long been an inspiration!
rat1945_zps509f8f24.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A WWII era photo of defense plant workers leaving from work. The bike on the right front had always intrigued me. I thought it was a cool ride. Luckily, I had a similar frame that I traded from a bike collector several years ago and didn't really know what to do with it and had been saving it for a future build. It was just a bare frame with decent original paint. The bike probably got parted out years ago and it needed to be back in service. I didn't have the funds to go and spend a lot of money on it either. More later! Thanks!!!

Thanks guys for all the comments! The frame is a late 1930's - early 1940's and it had been lying around in the way for several years. I had traded the Fat Franks at a swapmeet in Tennessee about 3 years ago. I thought they would look good on this frame. Built the wheels using the my last pair of Sun Rims that I had saved since the early 1980's. Even spoked a New Departure hub in the rear. New Departures have never been my favorite hub. But ever since Udall and some more members have posted info about them, I saw what I had been doing wrong all these years. I was greasing the disc and not oiling them. This hub had been re-chromed sometime back and I assembled it following the directions posted on here and used Lucas gun oil (#10006) on the disc and it works great! Like a new hub even! The front hub is a Schwinn script that had been re-chromed also. Didn't have any 1" pitch stuff to put on it but did have a period correct 1/2" pitch front sprocket and the ND was 1/2" anyway. The truss rods were the biggest challenge. Had to rob some off another bike I had. Would like to find a better set. Maybe Tyler can help accomplish that! Had some concern about how it would ride with these tires, but it actually rides pretty smooth. This was all done when the lady who was in charge of the parade called me on Monday and said she had me down to ride in the parade on the following Thursday night and I needed to get off my rear and do something. Thus the name Piece'd Together. I'll try to get some finished pics as we have had cold and rain every opportunity since it was finished. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Above is the finished bike. I have some NOS fenders for it but will probably leave it alone. Whats a bummer is that I had to go out of town on business the day of the parade! But it was fun to get back to building. It helped me locate some parts that I had been missing. Thanks!!!!

Latest posts

Back