"Piece of Schwinn"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope forum newbs can join in :D ...though what I have is not really a Klunker in the truest form...

I'll make this a one-post deal since most of what I have here has been shown in my introduction, so here goes!

This project started out as a plain Jane all stock 1967 Typhoon...

IMG_0128.JPG

But the mountain biker in me just wouldn't stand for having such a ride, so project POS began with a teardown and cleanup. All the bearing surfaces were given a complete cleaning/rebuild/greasing, including a rebuild of the coaster brake hub. I installed a couple of old MTB parts I had lying around, ordered a couple of new items from the LBS, swapped out the Schwinn S-7 rims for some off of a late 50's AMF and this is what I ended up with:

POS2a.jpg

POS2b.jpg

POS2c.jpg

I left all the paint in its original shape, rust spots and all. The chrome parts and wheels have only been cleaned up a little using nothing more than Naval Jelly to remove the bulk of the rust and leave some 'patina' behind.

Parts list is as follows:

Origin8 Space Bar handlebars
1" threadless Proflex MTB stem
Pazzaz 21.1mm quill adapter
Wald #945 seatpost (13/16" shaft and swaged to 7/8" at top)
CODA saddle (burnt on one side from being rested against a hot radiator in a bike shop's basement)
Generic BMX saddle clamp
2.1" IRC Mythos XC rustwall tires
18T Bendix cog
36T Lucky 7 sprocket
180mm Bulletproof BMX cranks
VP red anodized beartrap pedals
Oury grips
Headbadge turned upside down

The POS runs very nicely and can be ridden anywhere without discomfort or fear of breakdown...it just looks crummy.

Thank you for the time to check this post out.

nice bike. it's up to the group to let ya in with an already done bike.

Outlaw 8)

OUTLAW said:
nice bike. it's up to the group to let ya in with an already done bike.

Outlaw 8)

Does it count that I finished the bike this afternoon with the arrival of the Lucky 7 sprocket? :wink:

Well I'm a good sport, if it doesn't fit the rules then the mods should move this to the appropriate forum...at least I can still showcase my work.

wicked bike regardless dude! I dig cruisers with the 1 1/8" headset conversion! clean look.

EvilJohnny37 said:
I dig cruisers with the 1 1/8" headset conversion! clean look.

It took some doing to find one that would fit the Schwinn's 21.1mm (.833") steer tube...I wound up ordering it from a place in Canada.

LOoks good. I really like the Origin 8 Spacebars. I have though about picking up a pair.

Latest posts

Back