Pedals

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to take these apart for painting??

Attachments

• E08308C3-6FBC-4275-B488-C73B1B441F42.jpeg
    E08308C3-6FBC-4275-B488-C73B1B441F42.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 57C6A746-1C47-46AF-A7A8-A22CB5F3C3C2.jpeg
    57C6A746-1C47-46AF-A7A8-A22CB5F3C3C2.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 92
Yes, but probably not worth the effort, when compared with shiny replacements.
Perhaps the various tabs could be un-bent and later re-bent; but those were not especially quality pedals in their own time.
For painting alone, (no bearing work), the tabs for the reflectors could be worked; unless one was thinking of two-tone pedals.
I use Rust-Oleum “antique pewter” on my own painted pedals. Oh, I have also used brown — just for that never rusty look.

Last edited:
index.php

I like to snap up vintage BMX or Mtn. bike pedals at swaps. (anyone remember them?)
Usually can find good solid alloy platforms like these Welgo brand for $5. Inspect em' Threads good, bearings spin good and if they are "tight" from setting, I put them on end in a coffee can and let some light oil gravity feed into dry bearings. (3 in 1 electric motor oil is 10w and works great.).

Phil is 100% right those pedals were cheap when new and have not gotten better with age. One of the first upgrades I make to a bike I intend to keep and ride is better pedals with nice bearings. The best cheapo pairs go on flip bikes, the rest are trash.

Great resto tip Horsefarmer. I prefer MTB pedals, wish they'd fit my cruiser crank. Pretty much anything I build has to be ready for the occasional off path ventures.

Ron:
Phil is right, disassembly is not worth the effort and might not work. If you want to spiff up those pedals a bit, hit them with a wire brush, wipe down with denatured alcohol (or some other solvent), and brush on some Testors Flat Steel #1180. In the examples below, I only touched up the most visible and rustiest parts, which were the outside plates.
Have fun!
pedals2.jpg

hit 'em real good with penetrating oil -PBblaster, liquid wrench, wd40 ish stuff- it does great at disolving rust-y crud. Then use a plastic scraper ( i like plastic 'razor' blades) and a scotch brite pad. Lather, rinse repeat.

be sure to re-lube similar to above, because the penetrant also disolves grease

Those Rat Traps are prime for an oxalic acid bath. That along with some polishing with a pad of aluminum foil in a pan of water. Or if you can afford it, a pan of Coca Cola - it's acidic - instead of water.

it's 12 dollars for wood bleach or a comparable organic acid, I wouldn't bother with that. Phosphoric acid is about the same. Now you could have bought new pedals. Just grab regular strength oven cleaner from the dollar store. I would just grab some small chinese brushes or use my pipe cleaner stuff. I have rebuilt old torrington pedals, the kind that are like $80 if you get lucky. it is just chasing tiny bearings I don't look forward too. I mean i have taken apart plenty of pedals it is just some of them have these little pressed garbage rivets so putting them back together is a whole nother story. So yeah they come apart but getting the reflectors back on those i don't know if you really want to do that
26962135_1793703567361522_3660184102245688844_o.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back