Path Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my '63 Western Flyer I made into a would be path racer. I ride it on my local ride/walk/jog path in my home town.
IMG_1682.JPG

The paved path is around a university and I put in five laps which is about 14.5 miles. I usually get this done in just under an hour averaging around 15 mph. Ben doing this just over a year now. I do this two or three times a week for exercise and to just enjoy the outing on an old bike. Anyone else using their Rat Rod specifically for exercise?

IMG_1684.JPG

The bike gets some interesting comments from other bikers on the track and we have a great time with friendly competition. Most of the other guys can't believe it is a single speed. However I do have a two speed kickback hub to be installed sometime soon, I want to keep it clean, no cables.

IMG_1686.JPG

I thought about clipping the bars but decided I like to look of them long. The old Brooks saddle is very comfortable.

IMG_1687.JPG

I keep up with ride stats with a phone app but use the stop watch to see how I am doing lap by lap. This old bike has made its 58 year old motor feel a lot more perky. Lots of fun sparring with Treks and Giants too!

I like the simplicity. At first glance looks like it's not done yet, then no it's complete!
The stopwatch says you mean business!

Most of the builders here have riders made to actually use for distance. Old frames and forks with new drivetrains bring the life back to not only the bikes, but the owners. Here is one of many I own and ride. Dayton Huffman..
Welcome! skpc
IMG_0939_zpseaf19c23.jpg~original

Thanks all! Kind responses....

Like your bike SILVERKING, Old frame with aero bars is cool :thumbsup:

What's up with the drive train? Looks like a internal geared hub with skip tooth chain and chain ring....What's the gearing like and how's that working for you?

What's your typical ride with this bike?

rf

Yea, it sports a 52x18 tooth equivalent, skip-tooth drivetrain, Sturmey Archer internal 3-spd/coaster brake hub(33%up/33% down from neutral) and a light wheelset. Not a bike for climbing in any way, but perfect for flat, long rides, club rides, and doubletakes. Nice bike ya got posted above!

Thanks for the info SK......

I like your gear ratios, hi gear seems pretty tall, I bet you can cover some ground in hi gear in the right conditions

I'm thinking over gear ration for when I add the two speed hub. It's a SA with 38% difference from hi to lo.

Hi guys, I did some upgrades to this bike over the winter. I wanted to put the original Bendix coaster brake bake in but also wanted to up the gear ratio too. I could not find the rear cog I wanted because of the spline in the original so I found a a 28 hole RB-2 that had a 16 T cog so I changed the guts of the brake into my shell. Also de-glazed and greased well. I re-laced it back into the rim and now have 46/16 which is 2.875 to 1. Very free coasting hub and brakes well too!
IMG_0149 (2).JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG

I also cut the seat post and re-welded it about one inch further back. This puts my knees in better alignment over the pedals.

IMG_0344.JPG

Also;
'74 Schwinn cast stem- one inch extension forward.
Shimano 700 C front rim with Continental 100 PSI tire
Kenda Kwik Roller 26x2 80 PSI rear tire.
Cut the bars down- no wrap yet, just using gloves.

IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG

The bike is substantially faster now, easy to pedal and seems to roll forever. It fits like a glove and I feel I am in it rather that on it. It's really a single speed road bike in disguise i.e. rat rod :21:. The gear ratio is tall but a good compromise for into the wind and wind at your back.

I have a few more tweaks and cosmetics I want to do but will save that for later. Good weather and time to ride!!!

Latest posts

Back