BO15 Pandemic Road Missile.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Aeroliner looks a bit Winnebago-ish now with the white panels.
So copper, aluminum, steel for the body. add a little moisture and you get some serious corrosion or galvanic reaction. Dissimilar metals like to attack each other with water as the fuel. Consider some sort of insulators between the metals so all that work doesn't disintegrate within a couple years. There is an interesting book on the topic: Rust: The Longest War by Jonathan Waldman
The white panels are just the mocked up body. It will be aluminum skinned with copper rivets. Upper curved portion door top up will be steel cut on cnc and painted bronze or black. Lower section ( wood in mockup ) will be ribbed , aluminum and either painted or raw. Not gonna mirror polish the aluminum skin or corrode it. Just planning on the as bought fairly shiny finish if it presents well. Framing under the aluminum skinned mid section will be 1x2 square tube. I'll probably insulate a bit between the skin just in case but it'll stay inside so not super worried about moisture. Been mocking up the dash area with a 54 olds center gauge I like alot and a crazy cut down 66 Impala wheel. Delayed a little in the start of the final body due to the virus. I rebuilt a canned ham trailer for an elderly club member last year , he is insisting on returning the favor ( and a really really good fab guy ) but I don't want him out and about much in this mess as he isn't super healthy. All in good time.
IMG_20200515_180147069~3.jpg

Class 2 bike almost complete. Wife's new she shed birthday present project almost complete. Back onto this one soon.
Unrelated but two wheeled history Did find a super cool photo of my grandparents on rental scooters the day before he shipped off to war. Love the coveralls protecting his suit.
4045.jpeg
4045.jpeg

Apart , Eastwood patina preserver , re grease etc and off to the local bike shop tomorrow to order a nice internal hub 5 speed and some black spokes to be worked into the original white rims. I'll hide a little shifter somewhere. Black torpedo grips and a black nana seat on the way from Wuhan. Can't wait to do some good length rides in this one !
IMG_20200624_171822496.jpg

Please make a build thread for the Aeroliner in either the regular Builds area, or even the "Other Talk" section. Or at least tell me where I can follow it. I've had a similar idea in style, though my idea is to skin a minivan as a drivable canned ham trailer. Similar lines, though.

I've had a similar idea in style, though my idea is to skin a minivan as a drivable canned ham trailer.

Start saving those cans for the body.

spam.van.jpg

Trimmed off the part of the bike that accepts the seat post to drop the front of the seat an extra 3/4 inch and made a "strut " for each side from shop scrap drilled aluminum in place of a sissy bar. Tied it together left to right with a piece of all thread ( no weld class ) and will sleeve the all thread in a 6 inch piece of copper pipe I found laying around. Mocked with the other builds white seat and will hopefully be able to drop the back of the seat another inch or more to ride right over the rear fender. Simple cheap and pleased. The original rims are at a bike guru friends house . He is lacing in a 5 speed internal hub in the back and new black spokes on both white rims ( know what ya know, I fix his car
IMG_20200628_180334405.jpg
, he builds my wheels ). All that's left is everything.

Got the seat mounted and the correct bars chosen. Greased her up and reassembled waiting for the torpedo grips and wheels to be finished. The rims will be the original white pans with black spokes and a sturmey three speed laced in. Thinking blackwall tires with a wider white letter on the back. If the parts for the wheels arrive in time I'll finish.
IMG_20200712_163113820.jpg
IMG_20200712_163057561.jpg

The speed hole seat struts looks cool.
Any cool shifter plans for the Sturmey?

I have been trying to think of a cool headbadge for the road missile. Yesterday , after a battle with cancer , our super cool 4 year old cat went paralyzed in his back half and we had to have him put down. This cat was awesome and I think somehow I will have his image as the headbadge.
In happier news I must finish these bikes soon as my wife's birthday present "she shed " was delivered Wednesday and I've got lots of flooring , drywall , and wiring to do. She says she will use it alit for her craft and writing projects , if not I shall claim it and have the cutest little bike shop in town. Haha
IMG_20200729_190331528_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_20200730-173112.png

I have been trying to think of a cool headbadge for the road missile. Yesterday , after a battle with cancer , our super cool 4 year old cat went paralyzed in his back half and we had to have him put down. This cat was awesome and I think somehow I will have his image as the headbadge.
In happier news I must finish these bikes soon as my wife's birthday present "she shed " was delivered Wednesday and I've got lots of flooring , drywall , and wiring to do. She says she will use it alit for her craft and writing projects , if not I shall claim it and have the cutest little bike shop in town. HahaView attachment 131326 View attachment 131325
That's a wonderful photo.

Bummer about your cat bud.
That pic will make a cool badge.

Hit up @OddJob to see how he etched his Back40 headbadges.

Now, get on that she-shed build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starting on the shed in the morning. She has gotten laminate flooring , insulation, drywall, a ceiling fan, cabinets ,. I think she might be moving out haha

Got the custom wheels back this morning. Original white pinstriped rims with a rebuilt front hub, sturmey internal 3 speed rear hub and fresh black spokes. Very pleased. Waiting for my tires and grips to finish up. Torn over the pedals as I like the old original ones but am leaning toward some knarly white bear traps. We shall see.
IMG_20200808_110045830.jpg
IMG_20200808_110034817.jpg

Great wheelset!

Finally stole away time to mount the new tires on the wheels and onto the bike. Beyond pleased with the overall look and very comfortable riding position. Needed an extra 3/8 of an inch to mount the rear wheel. Found it between my 47 and Tacoma. Streeeeetch to fit baby. Just the headlight lense , crank grease , a chain and a pedal decision from a test ride. Gotta mount the shifter as well ...
IMG_20200817_152059926.jpg

Latest posts

Back