Paints (good & bad)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I know we all have our favorite paints that we like to use and the ones we hate. Let talk about the ones we like and give insight to others on ones they are thinking of using.

I will start it off by saying that I am thinking about using a hammered style of paint finish. Having never sprayed this type of finish I am wondering if the stuff Krylon sells is any good?

qe7y9esy.jpg

What do I need to watch for when slinging it on?

I prefer Krylon paints over rustoleum in general.

I really like the Krylon Fusion paints(not just for plastic) they are very resilient paints, and are one of the only paints I've seen work on plastic or other materials that will bend, without cracking or splitting.

I've never used that paint in particular, but I have used other hammered paints(krylon copper I think) and while they provide a general "aged" look, I don't think they particularly look like the paint has really aged because its a consistent texture throughout.

i used that on a jeep wheel. out in the sun all day still looks great. For bikes I like Autoair auto paint water based and comes in airbrush 2oz bottles. Works perfect out of a cheapie harbor freight gun. For $10 a bottle I can paint more than 1 bike.

i used that on a jeep wheel. out in the sun all day still looks great. For bikes I like Autoair auto paint water based and comes in airbrush 2oz bottles. Works perfect out of a cheapie harbor freight gun. For $10 a bottle I can paint more than 1 bike.

When you use the Autoair paint, what do you use to clear coat it?

2 part Urethane clear. First thing I painted I used Spray Max in spray can, You push a button on the bottom to release the hardener. It worked very well. I bought a quart of cheap 2K auto clear now because it is way cheaper. I bought a dedicated detail gun at Harbor Freight, $9. I sprayed my wife's bike today with the Auto Air thinned with windex. I think it is very good stuff. I have not used much stuff to compare it to. But it is 100% better than a spray can.

I want to try something other than spray paint. I want a better color selection and something that is more durable than spray cans, yet I don't want to buy automotive quantities. I bought a detail gun last week, I'm still trying to figure out a paint option.

Has anybody used the dupli-color paints that are ready to spray?

Has anybody used the dupli-color paints that are ready to spray?

All paints not in a rattle can need some type of thinner as far as I know...

I think this is the stuff hes talking about. It sprays right out of the can, but its rougher than a corn cob...

I have however been really happy with the vht paints we stock, especially the rollbar/epoxy paint. I want to do something with these colors next.

What would be your opinion on using those VHT engine paints on a grill?

I need to repaint my current grill, but all I can find is black, or engine paints.
I'd like to do it in Cleveland Browns colors for tailgating if possible.

This paint claims 650 degrees, but I would check into header/manifold paint. Those are typically good up to around 1500 or so.

I like Rustoleum Painters Touch as a rattle can paint, but colors are limited. Krylon seems to have a larger color pallet.

Latest posts

Back