PAINT HELP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST PICKED UP THIS BIKE AND PLAN ON TRICKING IT OUT INTO A HIPSTER BIKE.WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT PAINTING IT? SAND FIRST THEN PRIMER? I HAVE NO GARAGE SO ILL BE DOING ALL MY PAINTING OUTSIDE IN THE YARD.ANY TIPS THANKS
l_1e8dbf4ad5cb9ca25004f8c28e434a2c.jpg

WOOOOOOP WOOOOOOOOP WE HAVE A 10 19 in progress

subject is posting without a intro.........all units be advised

just get the clearcoat off, reprimer with high build, then paint it i do all my stuff outside too its no big deal at least you dont have to worry about ventilation

..now post an intro or i wont be responsible for what these thugs do to you...

just make sure you sand it first(unless you want it to all fly off) if youre going to prime use 320 grit paper dry first then to sand the primer id use 500 or 600 grit wet

I usually just start beating the frame with a big rock until the paint is all gone. Then I get a paint roller and a can of latex paint (any color you like) and apply. then brush on some polyurethane to protect the beautiful finish. sometimes I glue on some glitter and macaroni.

beernpickin said:
I usually just start beating the frame with a big rock until the paint is all gone. Then I get a paint roller and a can of latex paint (any color you like) and apply. then brush on some polyurethane to protect the beautiful finish. sometimes I glue on some glitter and macaroni.
:lol:

personally i like to sand all the paint off to bare metal. then go to the ocean tie a rope through the frame and toss her in the salt water. now here is the important part it takes a week and you have to sit there and wait for it to wash back to shore then make sure you toss it back out. remember it has to be a week exactly otherwise the coating wont stick and if you wait too long the darn oysters will stick to it. and man let me tell you taking oyster goo off a frame is no fun.

karfer67 said:
personally i like to sand all the paint off to bare metal. then go to the ocean tie a rope through the frame and toss her in the salt water. now here is the important part it takes a week and you have to sit there and wait for it to wash back to shore then make sure you toss it back out. remember it has to be a week exactly otherwise the coating wont stick and if you wait too long the darn oysters will stick to it. and man let me tell you taking oyster goo off a frame is no fun.
I love this method! :wink: Unfortunatly I live in the high desert (4100'). Could I stick it in my pond for say a month :?: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM

myself
i've found the best way to remove paint
is to find a sturdy log chain
loop it through the frame so it can't be lost
then hook the log chain to the back of
say an old pickup truck
go for a 50 mile sunday drive
then stop and check the frame
if there is still paint left
turn it over and go for another 50 miles
this method works better than bead blasting
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sorry i couldn't resist

just sand it lightly with 300 or finer paper
prime and paint
follow the directions on the rattle can
i use auto rattle can paint from the auto parts store

ponytailmike
mike

Rustoleum has always gone on very nicely for me. i did a front fender for a friends 64 ranchero with 3 cans of gloss black and 5 cans of clear (both rustoleum) and it came out looking nicer than the rest of the car. just don't pile it on and TAKE YOUR TIME if you want it to look nice. I learned that one the hard way... more than once....

light, multiple coats is the way to go for sure, and the more you sand off, the better the final product will look. i've done 2 coats of color and 3 coats of clear before and the paint came out looking like it went into the frame about an inch. People really do underestimate rattle cans...

Latest posts

Back