Packing a Balloon Tire Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hello all,

I was sick for a week or two and so I'm catching up. I have decided to sell me Hawthorne but to a good home. It has so much potential, but I haven't touched it in a long time and it has to go. I got a Giant bicycle carton from the LBS and it doesn't seem like it will fit. Giant primarily builds road bikes so that is probably why. Packing this large and heavy bike into this narrow carton is the equivalent to cramming a fat man into a Smart Car.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need a bigger bike? If I should get a bigger box, where else can I look? My LBS primarily sells road bikes and not many with fat tires. I've packed and shipped several bikes over the years but this is the first ballooner. This is also a good chance for me to try shipping via bikeflights (we didn't know about bikeflights the last time I shipped a bike)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any solutions you guys may have!

With a larger bike like that I usually end up using two boxes. I take the front wheel and fork off and stick the front wheel in a separate box.

I just shipped a bike in this format from Texas to Florida and it cost $55 to ship both using bikeflights.com

Well then...I'll call Meijer and Wal-Mart. They're right next to the Wright state campus and I have class later today. If that doesn't work I'll try the two-box method.

The screw for the front fender is seized so I was just going to pack it upside down and wrap it very good. That way, it doesn't rattle around and it isn't subjected to so much weight on it. The fenders for peaked and come to a point at the ends so they need to be protected.

I usually pack mine like this....with foam pipe insulators from Home Depot and zip ties.

The absolute key to a successful packing job is that everything in the box is one giant solid mass without any separate moving parts. I go overboard with foam and zip ties so that nothing rubs against anything during transit.

Another important detail is to write the recipient's name and address directly on the box with a black marker.

ypyvu2ez.jpg

8u7esa5u.jpg

Shipped three bikes so far.

First time, asked my local small bike shop for a box. Got one, broke the bike down with foam and padding, shipped it FedEx. $75.

Second time, made my own box with thick cardboard pieces that I had, and shipped it FedEx. $120.

Third time, I broke it down into two boxes which I made out of thick cardboard that I had. One with the wheel set, and the other with everything else. Shipped it FedEx for a total of I think $50.

A lot has to do with creative packing. I nest all the parts together, then zip tie everything. I managed to get a CWC Hawthorne tanker in a single road bike box safely before, but it was tricky.
Here is one I'm getting ready to ship later today. In this case the wheels and fenders weren't part of the deal, but you can tell that the overall size of the bike is much smaller than when it's all together.
Another thing, my local walMart refuses to give away their used boxes, they go immediately to a compactor for recycling.:(
I love how this looks, as is I would ride this every other day, with a coat of boiled linseed oil, this is by far my favorite rat rod frame

If you ship it with the fender on it, better come up with a, "stop," to keep the bike from shifting. That would give them an extra peak!

If you ship it with the fender on it, better come up with a, "stop," to keep the bike from shifting. That would give them an extra peak!

+1
More often than not when I've rec'd a bike with the rear fender left on it arrived smashed. The bicycle boxes get dropped off loading docks and trucks and stood on end. From my experience it's best to err on the side of caution: over-package and use 2 boxes, making sure everything is secure and there is no metal/metal contact. Axles, rims, handlebars etc against a frame=trouble.

That was the nice thing about sending a Columbia Newsboy frame...the built in rear rack extended past the rear fender and protected it from any contact.

Normally I would remove both fenders and ship them in a separate box.

Great tips here. I am not looking forward to boxing up Firewing because the fenders, skirts, metal flames, and hidden nanner seat supports are all woven together in a puzzle. I am probably going to have to go the two box route and also protect or remove the glass from the twilight.

Totally agree with other comments that there should be NO loose parts in the box . Insurance doesn't help fix original paint that gets scratched up.

The prices here are waaaay better than if you just show up at the UPS or FedEx store:
http://bikeflight.com & http://www.shipbikes.com
I’ve used both several times with really good results. Also Frontier Airlines charges $25 each way for bikes under 50 lbs. There are a couple of others out there that have similar deals. Steer clear of United... you could end up paying —no joke— $250 each way.

Thank you all! I was able to remove the rear fender and rack, but not the front. I will probably go the two-box route if I can find anything wider. I've used up several rolls of packing tape in the last few weeks, so if I can find a box already made, that's a plus! I get tired of running to the store and I've looked at buying it by the case.

The bulk of that tape was used on packing a car bumper. My first time shipping anything like this and I used probably $20 worth of tape on it.

I used the two box method for Firewing.
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Latest posts

Back