P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill...maybe Next Year

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: P-40 Warhawk

River City Speed said:
Amazing! What did you use to transfer the art work to the leather? Just pressure?
Yeah, just light pressure from a stylus non marking tip. Not gonna post up a "how to make this" or this thread will fill up fast. Just gonna build it and post enough pics so that anyone can tell that its being put together like the rules mention. I'm also learning as I'm going since this is my first bike build.
Here is how the left side is coming along. Still got lots of hours left till this side is complete. enjoy.

Still have lettering and a couple more things to add. The veg tan leather is a bare natural color that will be dyed saddle tan when the tooling is complete. The Disney Flying Tiger logo will be painted in original colors just like on the P-40 Warhawk to bring it out.

You can see how I tapered the tank towards the seat.

Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill

I think a lot of eyes are watching this unfold! Very slick!!!

I really like the tank you have some great ideas for your build...
I always wanted to try leather work i remember my dad use to do it abit when I was a kid....

Keep up the great work...

LukeTheJoker said:
That tank and those flags will really tie the build together, very nice work!

Luke.
Thanks you all for the kind complements on the leather tank. Funny how I was not able to find a similar built molded leather tank on the web like mine. Leather has been associated with bicycles since the very first bike and the other reason im using it on this build. Could have used fiberglass but this seams more traditional. Seams like leather working has been a dying art form in the past 30 years as its just too time consuming to construct a quality piece. I already have four hours invested in just completeing the Disney Flying Tiger logo and still have another one to make on the other side. The side thats not built yet.
I'll post this last picture of that tiger that I just finished a few minutes ago. I won't flood this build thread with just this tank so I'll post the finished tank when its complete and ready to mount on the frame. Still have the frame and fender set to paint. Wish my original paint on this frame didn't look good as it will be a shame to strip it off. I'm not too conserned as its a great base platform with no rust issues to tackle and it will turn heads again once complete.

Luke, wait till you see the matching seat and other leather items I plan to build. Not gonna over due it and will try to keep it simple.

Im digging the leather work, my son picked up a nice size piece of leather cheap the other day so sometime this summer I hope to get him atleast a starter set of tools

dragnusa said:
Im digging the leather work, my son picked up a nice size piece of leather cheap the other day so sometime this summer I hope to get him atleast a starter set of tools
Sweet, i'm no instructor but i'm staying away from all those stencil pattern leather books. The info is good but decided to just make my own patterns as I go. Just started carving again since a was 8 years old.

Simple as picking something to carve, still life like back in grade school.

Then, draw your design. I have a weird 1970's cartoon style but hey, i've been drawing since the 70's.

Then lay it out and start tooling/carving......This was my second attempt in the same day as my first try this year (Feb.) Notice its on a scrap piece of leather.

of corse, I sat and watched my grandfather do leather work from age 2-12 years old. So i'm just remembering his steps that I can't describe in a few words on how to do it.

They also make alphabet stamp kits that can be pricey. I'm having a better time using my own personal hand lettering freehand script style that i've developed since a kid. That way I'll always be able to identify my work.

Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill ,,,,Update...leather Tank dyed

Was off work today so got most of the left side tank done and dyed. Ready for stitching tomarrow and fit test onto frame. Applied a mix of Fiebing's tan leather dye with one of my Iwata airbrushes and I darkened up the edges a bit to bring out the light colored size 346 bonded thread i'll be using. This will be the first real (not scrap leather) piece i'll be sewing on the new heavy duty leather sewing machine. Yes, I own a sewing machine that sews material, not garment. The tiger coloring will take place soon after fit test to make sure this is gonna work or else back to the drawing board as they say.

Yeah free handing is the way to go, I remember trying to use the letter stamps and other large stamps and they was just a big pain.

Re: P-40 Warhawk "Tex" Hill..update, Leather Tank Dyed

Totally trying that leather forming. Pretty cool dude.

Definitely a masterpiece in the making. 8)

Really nice work on the tank leather!

Latest posts

Back