Outskirtscustom's 1980 Dodge Van Project: parking solutions DEMOLITION!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had to make the same decision. I have been looking for a van for a long while now. But for some reason prices are up on anything pre-80. Anything I looked at under $2500 needed way too much work or had title issues, which the owners always claim are easily resolved. Then I ran across a 65 4-door Galaxie 500 with a rebuilt 352, rebuilt c6 trans, and everything the way I like it except for the paint job. They did ghost flames. GHOST...FLAMES...!!! let that sink in for a moment... Then they took perfectly good chrome bumpers and stainless trim, and powdercoated them metallic dark gray. But with everything rust-free, I had to jump on it

I just had to make the same decision. I have been looking for a van for a long while now. But for some reason prices are up on anything pre-80. Anything I looked at under $2500 needed way too much work or had title issues, which the owners always claim are easily resolved. Then I ran across a 65 4-door Galaxie 500 with a rebuilt 352, rebuilt c6 trans, and everything the way I like it except for the paint job. They did ghost flames. GHOST...FLAMES...!!! let that sink in for a moment... Then they took perfectly good chrome bumpers and stainless trim, and powdercoated them metallic dark gray. But with everything rust-free, I had to jump on it
Yeah some people ruin a great car with bad ideas. Painting over chrome and stainless should be a crime. Don't get me wrong I have seen a few that were done the body color and it looks awesome but most times you leave it alone. Rust is a BIG factor though so if it's rust free you're set. Bummer about the trim being powdercoated, you'd probably destroy it trying to remove the powdercoat.

Example of done right...
2012_HRPT_6-2_016-540px.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed, very cool how the story turned out. The chances of finding the service van he drove when he was a young technician. The van did have the usual problems one would expect of a vehicle that has sat for so long. Brakes, fuel system, suspension, seals..... but it looks as it had some of those not so fun surprises. I got a chuckle from the rusted out shock absorber pic.

It just occurred to me that Neal that posted the link to the rest of the story might be the the service tech and current owner? I didn't notice the new membership to the site until just now. Thank you for posting the rest of the story and I'm glad to know the van is going to be used again. A real extra bonus that it's back with a old friend so to say.

It's great that Neil decided to keep everybody informed about it. Good to see it getting the much needed love it deserves. I had big plans for it but didn't have what it would take to get it there. Any time you need a hand with it Neil I'd be more than willing to help out.

It just occurred to me that Neal that posted the link to the rest of the story might be the the service tech and current owner? I didn't notice the new membership to the site until just now. Thank you for posting the rest of the story and I'm glad to know the van is going to be used again. A real extra bonus that it's back with a old friend so to say.

Yes Neil is the same guy who drove this van back in the day, same guy who sweat 5 lbs into the driver's seat every summer, and the current owner.

Last edited:
Yes Neil is the same guy who drove this van back in the day, same guy who sweat 5 lbs into the driver's seat every summer, and the current owner.

Don't worry you'll get a ride in it before too long.
Big thing right now is finding 2 axle shafts that are long enough.
May have to bite the bullet and have Yukon Gear make me a set.

I actually have drove it -- that's when I heard the rear end growl. It drives fine and motor runs just like new and tranny works just fine. If it weren't for the axle I would be done and on to the sheet metal.
More later and thanks guys.

If it needs new shafts I'd just swap the whole rear end. Find a newer 1994-2003 Dodge van rear end that has disk brakes!

Cool van story! Great that it is staying on the road. I found a sorta Dodge van several years ago. I say sorta Dodge because it is a AM General mail van based on a Chrysler driveline. 258 6 cyl, auto, right hand drive. Think Jeep and you got the basics of the engine and driveline. Previous owner was going to use it as an ice cream truck but let it sit for years outside. Yep it was a basket case, still sort of a case, just not as big a basket. Still needs a new engine, and some body work. Planning to fix up inside this fall. Makes a great toy hauler and occasional camp RV.

AMGen101.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry you'll get a ride in it before too long.
Big thing right now is finding 2 axle shafts that are long enough.
May have to bite the bullet and have Yukon Gear make me a set.

I actually have drove it -- that's when I heard the rear end growl. It drives fine and motor runs just like new and tranny works just fine. If it weren't for the axle I would be done and on to the sheet metal.
More later and thanks guys.

So how's the van coming along? I saw the pics of the front end together and the new chrome bumper. Looks great.

Latest posts

Back