(ORBO) One Bad AMFer **Finished!**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been coming up with excuses for staying out of this build off since before it started but I have this AMF frame and today a 26' BMX style fork fell into my lap so I guess I will take it as a sign. I have a vision in my head of how I want this bike to turn out but when I look in my wallet its a little harder to see. I will have to see what I can come up with on a shoestring budget but I'm sure I can come up with something acceptable. I fully expect to use all the time right up to the deadline before finishing this one as I will be picking up parts $15 at a time.
IMG_20160113_194807633.jpg

Great frame , way cool. Heavy duty drop outs with lots of style Great start [emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have always felt these bikes are underappreciated especially with the hard to find large dropouts. Lightweight parts on a middleweight frame and factory bobbed fenders, it would have originally looked like this....
amf_3_speed_bike_01.jpg

You gonna have to widen the stays out?

Carl.
Its gonna be tight! I threw on a fairly wide rim and MTB wheel to see if it would fit and the jury is still out. It might work but only with a very true wheel all the way back in the dropout. Smaller tire might help, or at least one with less tread on the outside corners. Also thinking about running a set of 24's if I can find beefy enough tires. More drastic options include extending the slots in the dropouts (there is plenty of room) or spreading the stays. Neither of those are my first choice as I would prefer to leave the frame o'natural.

IMG_20160117_172026.jpg

I swapped a nice seat I had and $10 for a bunch of parts. Unfortunately the bars are too wide for the sweet redline stem I picked up. Going to have to choose between them.
IMG_20160120_205937554_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160120_214753621.jpg

I have a green bike like that somewhere. Looking forward to your fat drops bmxer.

The biggest score were the cups. Turns out AMF made their head tubes a hair narrower than the standard. Not only do they have to be AMF cups but they are specific to the boys bikes. I lucked out that a local guy had a set and in black.

The biggest score were the cups. Turns out AMF made their head tubes a hair narrower than the standard. Not only do they have to be AMF cups but they are specific to the boys bikes. I lucked out that a local guy had a set and in black.
I wonder how many manufacturers did that, my Iverson frame doesn't have head tube cups and nothing I've tried is even a close fit.

Still no drive train decisions as I haven't found a reasonably priced organ donor yet. In the meantime I managed to trade that set of bars even-Steven for a set that worked with the Redline stem. While digging through my parts stash I found a few items I should be able to use.
IMG_20160130_173929981_HDR.jpg

The black Norex leather saddle has been passed over for two previous projects but this time I think its found its home. I wasn't sure if I really liked the gold seat post as it is a shade off from the painted frame but I think the black clamp breaks it up enough.
IMG_20160130_175414379.jpg

The wheel is only there for mock up and I hope to find an anodized gold brake for the front and to black out the rest of the head set.
IMG_20160130_175422991.jpg

Latest posts

Back