(ORBO) Heavy Duti Rocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ground a little of the derailleur bracket away so it will sit flat against the Heavy Duti dropout.
Before:
derailleur brkt before.jpg

After:
derailleur brkt after.jpg

Cool ride!

A couple updates, Salvaged a kickstand pin from a kids 20" China Schwinn scrap bike that got my kickstand in place. Also got a chain from a kids 24" 6 speed china roadmaster to extend the chain length. May swap the crank sprocket for the 24" kids bike sprocket because the kids bike had no front derailleur and has those built in chainguards to keep the chain from jumping. We will see how it goes after some adjustment. Just need to scrounge a long cable housing for the shifter and the rear brake caliper.
So far have not had to buy anything for the build other than ind-chucks frame and the $5 Schwinn rocket 3 donor bike. Gonna have to find some shims for the 1 1/8 thread less neck - need 1" long so I can get the bars has high as possible.

Working on getting shifter indexed and brakes. Maybe test ride in a couple days but supposed to snow this weekend. :eek:

Like the flat black and the red skinwall tires! Looks clean and tight! Rat on...

Looks like you are experiencing the thaw as well up there. Pond is still frozen in the back 40 but hardly any snow in sight. Looks like you're getting the bike dialed in! Rat on!

Looks like you are experiencing the thaw as well up there. Pond is still frozen in the back 40 but hardly any snow in sight. Looks like you're getting the bike dialed in! Rat on!
Thanks Odd Job,
You are right, temps in upper 40's here !:dance2:
Looking forward to test ride ! I have a lot of seats I can try on this bike, but for some reason I really like the look the old exercise bike seat. :grin:

Thanks Odd Job,
You are right, temps in upper 40's here !:dance2:
Looking forward to test ride ! I have a lot of seats I can try on this bike, but for some reason I really like the look the old exercise bike seat. :grin:
Hehe, you'all in Snow states will be flipping mud and wearing the stripe, when out on the trail :) Nobbies are great at for that. Hehe

Building... riding...

mb4.JPG
Got 2 test rides in now.
mb1.JPG

Swapped seat for used Schwinn seat. Added new pedals.
mb7.JPG

Bike rides awesome! 8 mile ride today on back roads and some dirt - lowest gear allows going over soft ground easily. Not sure if I am going to keep the bars and stem - I may want something with more rise.
mb9.JPG

Making minor tweeks to the build.
Sometimes gears would slip or jump under load.
Realized I mounted derailleur hanger at incorrect angle and jockey wheels needed to move forward to more fully engage the rear cluster.
correct angle of jockey wheels.JPG

Been swapping parts around and now I'm happy.
photo 2.JPG

Wanted to get bars higher and get wider bars while I was at it.
photo 1.JPG

The stock bars from the Schwinn Rocket felt to narrow to me. Been picking thru piles at swaps and yard sales for 2 years and it came together.
Redline bars, Shadow Conspiracy stem, Oury Grips combine to make a very secure and comfortable ride.
photo 7.JPG

I love the 8 speed paddle shift - took a while to get everything dialed in but worth it!
photo 5.JPG

This is so much better than the original Schwinn Rocket, no more bouncy rear suspension, just a comfortable solid rider!
photo 8.JPG

Oh Equine-agriculturist, you have really done it this time! Looks as solid as the rocks and roots it will be plowing through for many rides ahead! That 1 x 8 combo will serve you nicely. I have long been a 1x fan way before it became the new standard for off-road bikes. Your parts mix gives me much Rat-isfaction. Well done! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back