(ORBO) Dead Metal - Video Montage

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the Klunkoff!

This is the only pic I have for now, from last fall, thought to be a late 30's early 40's Rollfast. I've always wanted a straight bar. I'll be doing some more research, but I believe I'll be building a "classic" early klunker. More importantly, I'll be bringing this pitted and crusty frame back to life. There's a few ways I can go with the forks, and wheels. What's on it now is just for a mock up, to see how she sits. I think my old cad2 Cannondale is getting nervous...
It's DEAD METAL...

Carl

Like it Carl! Man, I'm going to drive myself crazy watching this build off from afar. Away from my tools and bike parts, frames, etc for a couple months. And priority when I return is to finish off the inside of BACK40 bike shed before any more builds commence. Love your old frame.....and that cad2 Cann joke...haha! Dead metal indeed:21:

Git 'er done Carl! That's my old frame. Found near Windsor, IL behind an abandoned farm house in a junk pile. The save is on! Gary

Yes sir, Gary is a good guy...
Met me part way on the distance, and tossed in another frame! All in response to my quest for a straight bar frame I had posted in the wanted thread. The quest itself started when I tossed the idea for a hill climber, and decided to go full klunker in this build off. Thanx again Gary.

Carl.

I cut up a set of apes for the bars on CycleDelic...
This is what I have left.

Kinda cool (sort of board tracker tho)
Maybe, just maybe...

May have my crankset and derailleur too, had a TALL Schwinn Traveler given to me today...

37" floor to the top tube!

Carl.

Last edited:
Those bars look dangerous Carl, not sure I would trust them offroad... :blackeye:

Luke.
I was thinking about that. But they just look so cool (kinda boardtracker tho) I had to post them. But...
They're nice and tight. Pretty adjustable too. The weakest point would be the wrist swivel, but it's good for me. I doubt I ever go slamming downhill with it, even though I'd like it to be able to.

Carl.

Last edited:
I've got to find a BB conversion. I want to go 3 piece. But I did find a nice thumb shifter in my stash and have set my bars and grips up where I think I want them.

I also think I've got my fork and front brakes figured out.

Carl.

Last edited:
But then again... classic Klunker Hybrid could be cool.

Wald 898 bars would be cut down. I don't want to build a Bomber (coaster) so I need rear brakes, that's whats going to cost me on this build.

Carl.

But then again... classic Klunker Hybrid could be cool.

Wald 898 bars would be cut down. I don't want to build a Bomber (coaster) so I need rear brakes, that's whats going to cost me on this build.

Carl.
I think the three piece is cool, but that last pic with those bars pointed upward is just great.

Building... riding...

I'm not sure where you're going with the bars, but I do like the look of the left over apes. Even tho I agree with Luke, I wouldn't wanna take them downhill.

I think the three piece is cool, but that last pic with those bars pointed upward is just great.

Building... riding...
The more I research into klunkers the more I learn towards the Walds as well...
I'm not sure where you're going with the bars, but I do like the look of the left over apes. Even tho I agree with Luke, I wouldn't wanna take them downhill.
Yep, Luke's got a good eye :nerd: They look cool and are going into the stash...
As she sits, she's got Wald bars, stem and seatpost,
and a Schwinn crank from 74'
All period correct to do a Marin Co. Klunker.

So I cut down the bars 2 1/2" each end, and like the way they feel at just a hair over 26" wide, puts my hands about even with my shoulders. But I gotta find me a longer fork. I'd like to get the chain stays level, that would raise my BB to 12" at the bottom, it's only 11 3/4" at the center now. See the 2x4? It's not quite level yet, and note the rub thru spot above the pedal on the stay... gotta patch that soon.
Did I tell ya why it's called Dead Metal and what the paint scheme/theme was? o_O No?
Haha...

Carl.

Last edited:
Well this frame may be toast... Oh I can build a cruiser with it, or anything NOT made to bang thru the woods. But if you look at the photo Gary posted, you'll understand. This baby it pitted bad and as I was cleaning it in prep for paint I discovered a few tiny pinholes in the stays. Pinholes I may be able to flow some braising rod into, but I don't know. The more I look the more I find, and I'm afraid of an epic fail first time she comes down hard. Anybody have any experience in this? Phooey, I could build a bike that looks like a klunker... but who wants to do that? I can't weld right now, I don't even have what I need to braise, but I can probably get it... and is that going to help? Do I have to check every bit of pitting and then try to flow some braise into them all? I'm afraid all 4 stays are gonna be Swiss cheese, Klunktastic this isn't...

Carl.

How thick is the tubing? On my 53 Schwinn, the pitting is terrible on one of the chain stays, but it still has taken a beating and never given out.

Well this frame may be toast... Oh I can build a cruiser with it, or anything NOT made to bang thru the woods. But if you look at the photo Gary posted, you'll understand. This baby it pitted bad and as I was cleaning it in prep for paint I discovered a few tiny pinholes in the stays. Pinholes I may be able to flow some braising rod into, but I don't know. The more I look the more I find, and I'm afraid of an epic fail first time she comes down hard. Anybody have any experience in this? Phooey, I could build a bike that looks like a klunker... but who wants to do that? I can't weld right now, I don't even have what I need to braise, but I can probably get it... and is that going to help? Do I have to check every bit of pitting and then try to flow some braise into them all? I'm afraid all 4 stays are gonna be Swiss cheese, Klunktastic this isn't...

Carl.
I had one stay on my summer build that I coated over with j b weld and could never use it for a orbo, the whole frame was pitted but not as bad.

If you think it looks weak, I would use it for a cruiser build later on and find something that can take a hop or two on a downhill, or the rough rocky bounce of the trails.

It would be cool to see this frame in this buildoff!!
Just my .02

Well someday maybe but not now...
But I have another frame...
DSC00762.JPG

It's got even worse pitting at first glance...
DSC00763.JPG

DSC00765.JPG

DSC00764.JPG

But it's got way thicker tubes.
Repaint on the way.

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back