(ORBO) BMX/MTB/BOMBER/KLUNKER BO .....VOTING FINISHED!......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are cheaper and simpler jig designs out there using 80/20, but I want something I can basically use as a pantograph if i want to- for example any cheap used frame/fork I find I just slap in the fixture which in addition the usual end cones for the HT and such would also have clamshell clamps for seat and HT's and mounts for both the front and rear axles. So rather than having to "think" about it, I just copy something existing, set the angles, then insert a trimmed pre-war rear triangle, a seatmast/BB unit, and build forward. Presto- as many suspension corrected, modern geo, 4130 "pre-war Schwinns" as I want... or at least as many girls' frames I can find to hack up.

It's also extra robust so it's transportable- over the summer I hope to be able to start on a CNC machine and also start making aluminium frames, and there's NO WAY I'll have the skill to weld aluminum, or the money for a TIG set up, so I'll have to be able to jig it up and toss the whole thing in the back of my truck and take it somewhere to get welded. Picked up an old electric oven to convert into a powder coating oven which just might get over-built into an aluminum heat treating oven ;)

Website secured, t-shirts designed, headbades in the works :)

I reckon they'll have the official build-off subforum/thread/whatever up shortly.

If the idea is to name our project after the worst movies ever, I'm gonna call mine "Troll 2."

Funny story, I didn't know that this buildoff existed until 30 minutes ago. I have also been mentally envisioning a klunker build because of an abundance of prewar and postwar frames being in my way, in addition to a front drum brake wheel sitting around. I'm kind of curious if the general tone of this build is to maintain the spirit of the original movement by using cruiser frames and cheap components (especially what would have been available back then, or else what's the point) with little to no effort in the looks department?

I think the last paragraph in the OP is what really sets this apart from other klunker build offs... ;-)

I reckon they'll have the official build-off subforum/thread/whatever up shortly.

If the idea is to name our project after the worst movies ever, I'm gonna call mine "Troll 2."
There will be an official area up as soon as the voting for the MBBO is done.

In the meantime just start your builds in the regular build area with the (ORBO) signifier at the start, I will move any (ORBO) marked builds to the new area when it opens up.

Luke.

I'm I n for another good time . I have a cool
Frame I've been sitting on and Its to hard & to
Expensive to find all the right parts to get it back to it glory days .... So might as well KLUNK the ol boy [emoji109]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While contemplating a simple ORBO build, I remembered my Firewing Urban Klunker Action video. Hope you enjoy the comic relief.

I'm still hunting for a frame. I have a Kent folding rear suspension mountain bike frame that weighs a ton, but that won't cut it. I'd like to do a 29" Klunker.

I was originally planning on jumping in on this BO as an excuse to pull the trigger on a build idea I've sat on for a long time. But, with my entrance into the OBC Builder's Challenge, I'm afraid that my focus (and money) will be on that, and my BMX idea will have to wait.

Have fun, guys.

I am thinking of building out this Emory Workhorse as an off road hauler.
885_2d73be821ed1f7a62a23a17fcd8fea1e.jpg

I may cover it with skateboard sticker images.
2168_0b9b62049816b4ef81a25fa2dd15b771.jpg

So.... King is in?

Luke.

No, I have an idea for a build, but as usual I need to weigh it against "real world" duties :(
Right now I would say it's 50/50.

No, I have an idea for a build, but as usual I need to weigh it against "real world" duties :(
Right now I would say it's 50/50.
Ha! I'm swapping frames already bro. Pictures soon, I took the wheels, bars and seat off the Rollfast and put them on the "other" frame I got from Gary. It's pitted even worse at first glance, but it's a lot thicker tubing. The only downside is it's a cantilever frame, not a straight bar. But it still fits the Dead Metal theme.

Carl.

Real World duties? Mom's moving in with my sis, and I'm moving home soon. Gotta sort thru all the stuff Dad left us, move Mom and some stuff and combine 2 houses full of furniture etc. into one! Plus add a kitchen remodel and setting up my new indoor shop and setting up the garage/outdoor shop, to the list before I move, and ya gotta know my hands are full... think I'll build a bike too...

Last edited:
I just pulled out of storage;
took 3 hours of digging in the barn.:whew:
A cycle ,I've always called, a "Bomber" out;
Thinking about useing this build off: as motivation to give it,"life" again.:39:
Cool! A KJV build!

Luke.

Nothing but junk! I'm not giving up though. I'm making a road trip tomorrow to the town where the bike guy lives north of here. He's been on the lookout for frames for me.

I've seen now the rules allow for "real" mtbs in the buildoff...I have nearly all the parts for my new high-end bikepark-only bike but I dunno if enter it for fun or not, it's just a pile of expensive parts with little to nothing custom

I've seen now the rules allow for "real" mtbs in the buildoff...I have nearly all the parts for my new high-end bikepark-only bike but I dunno if enter it for fun or not, it's just a pile of expensive parts with little to nothing custom
Can you buy it with the parts you are fitting? if not, then it is custom...

Luke.

I have the parts from my first attempt at a klunker from RRBO8 that would be great for this. I think I even have a 3 speed hub somewhere, which is all you really need in this area. Giggity!

Latest posts

Back