(ORBO) BACK40 by LTJ, design by OJ. (ROLLING! But withdrawing from the build-off.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there it is! The tall caliper mounting posts appear! Disc brakes are just superior stoppers in every way. Nice job Luke...
Thanks SK, Looking forward to trying out the 203mm discs with the Aquila clamps!
Amazing what you can do with a grinder and a drill . looking great !:41::thumbsup:
Wouldn't mind a plasma cutter, but with some patience, they came out great!
Looking good!!
Thanks Chuckz!
Great fab work, Luke!
Thanks Roadie! :thumbsup:

Luke.

A quick tester with the wheel today:

24963556312_34fbbfc460_z.jpg

Looks like the frame section is a good fit!
The sliding section I have to remake though, as you can see the slide is right back at the moment, but the tire is only 1/4" off the bottom bracket! I made the adjustment the wrong way from my reference mark! :21: :oops: :21:

Never mind, the sliders are the easy bit, at least I don't have to remake the slots...

Luke.

View attachment 17866

The sliding section I have to remake though, as you can see the slide is right back at the moment, but the tire is only 1/4" off the bottom bracket! I made the adjustment the wrong way from my reference mark! :21: :oops: :21:

Never mind, the sliders are the easy bit, at least I don't have to remake the slots...

Luke.
haha:bigsmile: oups ! :dontmentionit:looking great tho , and 2nd try will probably be a better fit than if you would have made it only once . test/adjust/test/perfect!

you know , i see the chrome on that curve and iam thinking : how cool would it be if you could chromed that frame like these retro bmx.. or even "black chrome":43:

Last edited:
What's the good word, mate? Wife have a long "honey - do" list for you this weekend, er? ;)

What's the good word, mate? Wife have a long "honey - do" list for you this weekend, er? ;)
I'm just being lazy...

No, that is not quite true, I wore myself out a bit getting my little Datsun on the road, taking some time to recover...

Luke.

As mentioned in the previous post, the drop outs and sliders are started!

Cut out the drawings I made and traced around them on to some 5mm (1/5th") plate, then tacked the two sides together and went to town with a cutting disc and grinding wheel:

View attachment 17649

View attachment 17645

Got them close to where I wanted them and drilled the holes. The slots are drilled 8.5mm to clear 8mm bolts and the holes were drilled 6.5mm and then tapped to 8mm, you can also see here the extension to hold the brake calliper on the off-side dropout:

View attachment 17647

Worked a bit more and started on the slots:

View attachment 17648

There will be lots of filing yet to finish the slots off, but that can wait till another day, I also will be slotting the axle holes, but only after the sliders are tacked to the frame, this way the axle can help to locate everything properly for tacking. I may remove some steel from the brake mount extension too while tiding the sliders:

View attachment 17650

I had to test fit!:

View attachment 17646

Not a bad days work and now I have the next few work days figured out there should be some good progress in the coming days! :thumbsup:

Luke.
Luke,

Are you using wheels that mount with skewers? Think of the placement options that will give with a setup like that. I know a while back, when you where wondering about placement I had suggested why not make multiple places to mount the wheel like a Sharkfire fork does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 17866

Luke.
I'm really liking this dropout design!

I'm really liking this dropout design!
Yes, me too. Show us some more.
Carl.
Thanks Guys! Got the frame sections welded on today:

25148458102_a760de18a8_z.jpg

25240452126_ecedc2b879_z.jpg

Was going to make up the new sliding pieces, but realised I am out of 5mm flat bar! I could have cut them from some 4mm plate I have but it would be hard work, and it is a bit pitted from rust, so would have spent more time cleaning them too... Just have to make the new ones next time!

Very happy with the way it is coming together, I have to do a fair bit in the next 6 days though, going to have to take a break for some time after that, not sure how long exactly, it is a bit up in the air, but if I get it rolling and riding in the next 6 days then all I will have to do when I get back is finishing up and painting, so that is my aim!

Stay tuned for hopefully lots of progress in the next few days! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Looks great!

You should really consider practicing your welding skills while your taking a break. I'm not sure if I'd trust those welds.:envy::21::thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Fitted up the fork today ready to cut the legs to length and fit the drops. Dug a pretty cool headset out of my stash, an FSA Pig. This thing is a beast!

Check out the bearing sizes:

24961659539_35085532a5_z.jpg

Oversized lower cup to suit:

25303097236_18f0b20e2b_z.jpg

All assembled:

24698715934_140a2b716e_z.jpg

25329462685_1015237a3d_z.jpg

Still need to find some spacers and a top bolt:

24961664389_fa40567662_z.jpg

Should have it rolling soon!

Luke.

That Lower bearing is something else!! Way Cool!

Building... riding...
It is pretty beefy! When I saw that I knew exactly what build it was destined for! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Now you've really gone thoroughly modern with that dual sized headset Luke! It def fits the rest of the updating / customizing you have done on this build. Rat on!

Got some steel and found some fork drops to use:

25278639952_60ac01223a_z.jpg

I have plans to modify the drops to suit an idea I have.

Not sure how much I am going to get done before I have to take time off, it has gone quite hot here and I basically only have tomorrow left...

Luke.

Got home tonight at 10pm, decided it was a good time to kick up the lights, break out the grinder and start on the drops and sliders! Managed to get them rough ground before packing up for the night.

Old one sitting on top for reference:

25288141492_66cdb78a97_z.jpg

New ones by themselves:

25406455775_e4eea303ff_z.jpg

Cut the front drops of the old fork legs too:

24779740843_848f07a826_z.jpg

Luke.

Nice. :nerd:
Second shift heading into the night shift, getting it done in the cooler air.
Hope you get this one done in time brother,
but if not you know it's worth getting it done right.
(as you always do) ;)

Carl.

Latest posts

Back