(ORBO) '38 Shelby Klunkinator

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I was toying with idea of entering this build-off when lo and behold, a 1938 Shelby from appeared on Craigslist. Count me in!
we are starting out with this frame here...
klunker%201.jpg

and this alloy coaster brake wheel I cobbled together
klunker2.jpg

Stay tuned...

The Shelby frame is a great base to a klunker build! Rat on!

Nice, camo bomber...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Cinnaminson NJ (Schwinn DX) ad? Did he show you the Columbia he has, and the photo from 1939?

Good, now I get to watch it come to life. Were their any other good parts in that box? Don't throw out that Shock Ease fork.

Cinnaminson NJ (Schwinn DX) ad? Did he show you the Columbia he has, and the photo from 1939?

Good, now I get to watch it come to life. Were their any other good parts in that box? Don't throw out that Shock Ease fork.
That's the one, worth getting even though it wasn't a DX, and don't worry about the fork, it's Ebay bound

Sweet Shelby frame

Cam, when this thing is done, we gotta ride our bikes on the Kress Trails or at the Croft Farm or something like that.... your frame is righteous.

I own a Shelby frame like that. It seems to be half the weight of other pre/post war Shelby frames. Is this frame "lighter" than you expected?

It was warm enough to paint so I made some progress...
IMG_2550.jpg

Unfortunately the fork I was planning to use was bent...
IMG_2551.jpg

At least I was able to gather up most of the other parts.
IMG_2553.jpg

Luckily there's a swap meet at 2nd Life Bikes down in Asbury Park NJ, this weekend. I'm sure I can dig up another fork.
As far as the weight, I'm not sure...I don't have any other "normal" frames to compare it with!

Cam, when this thing is done, we gotta ride our bikes on the Kress Trails or at the Croft Farm or something like that.... your frame is righteous.
I've been meaning to check out either the Croft farm or the Kresson trails if they aren't too technical. After all, you're dealing with an antique here...and the bike is pretty old too! :bigsmile:

It was warm enough to paint so I made some progress...
IMG_2550.jpg

Unfortunately the fork I was planning to use was bent...
IMG_2551.jpg

At least I was able to gather up most of the other parts.
IMG_2553.jpg

As far as the weight, I'm not sure...I don't have any other "normal" frames to compare it with!

I am pretty sure that frame is a lighter gauge tubing, which is a good thing. I was quite surprised when I stripped mine down. I "loaned" it to a friend after getting it built up, but would love to have it back some day. Looks good!:thumbsup:

I've been meaning to check out either the Croft farm or the Kresson trails if they aren't too technical. After all, you're dealing with an antique here...and the bike is pretty old too! :bigsmile:
Ba-dum-bum!

There's nothing technical at the Croft Farm trails. Kress is a mixed bag, with mostly easy singletrack and a few technical features....

Latest posts

Back