options for wide axle 3-speed?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to change my 1-speed wide axle into a 3-speed wide axle.
I only can think about the Sturmey Archer SX-RB3 axle. (the only one I can find)
Does anyone know about options for this wide 3-speed axle?

Thanks!
grtz

I only can think about the Sturmey Archer SX-RB3 axle. (the only one I can find)

Thanks!
grtz

I believe the Shimano Nexus 3-gear Hub works well on wide rims, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

I believe the Shimano Nexus 3-gear Hub works well on wide rims, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Depends on how wide the rims are. To make a normal Nexus 3 speed hub work, you would either need some "dish" in the lacing of the spokes and/or an offset cog.

The only 3 speed hub that I know was made for 4" wheels is the Sturmey one that was available on some OCC StingRays. I bought one of these then sold the rim. I plan to eventually lace it to a 4" Beast rim with a Surly Black Floyd when I build out my Nanner Puddin Screamer bike.
KGrHqZHJCYFIb3y20FBSN4Ff5qZw60_57_zpse507db85.jpg

It's not the width of the rim that makes me think the SA is the only one available for me but the width of the axle in the hub and the space between the 2 legs of the rear, I need an axle from about 215 mm.
I'm new in the bikeworld so don't know what's possible and what's not! Maybe an other3-speed hub with a wider aftermarket axle?
I see lots of dyno's on the net with custom shifters and fat tires but can't most of the time find out what hub they use.

Would like one for this bike...

grtz

Older sturmey archer 3-speed coaster hubs make axles in two different lengths, regular and long...this might work for your frame. Not sure w/old models fitting: and see below b808 comments..

Last edited:
Just get the sx-rb3, or the "k" version if'n you're running a disc.
http://sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3/id/40.html
http://sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3/id/39.html

Beyond needing an extra long axle, you'll also want the wider dimension between the flanges for a strong wheel, and you'll reduce the chances of a bent axle, which is likely to happen with a long axle w/ a bunch of spacers but no bearing support.

You can buy the ready-made item that works, or you can spend a comparable amount of money and a lot of effort on something that'll likely fail. Up to you.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-...ewheel-cruiser-hub-36-hole-prod19018/?geoc=us

Just get the sx-rb3, or the "k" version if'n you're running a disc.
http://sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3/id/40.html
http://sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3/id/39.html

Beyond needing an extra long axle, you'll also want the wider dimension between the flanges for a strong wheel, and you'll reduce the chances of a bent axle, which is likely to happen with a long axle w/ a bunch of spacers but no bearing support.

You can buy the ready-made item that works, or you can spend a comparable amount of money and a lot of effort on something that'll likely fail. Up to you.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-...ewheel-cruiser-hub-36-hole-prod19018/?geoc=us

Hello...
So I followed your good advice and bought myself this hub...

When my wheel is back from the painter I can have the wheel put together.

Belgian greetings

Nice Spoiler you are working on.

Depends on how wide the rims are. To make a normal Nexus 3 speed hub work, you would either need some "dish" in the lacing of the spokes and/or an offset cog.

The only 3 speed hub that I know was made for 4" wheels is the Sturmey one that was available on some OCC StingRays. I bought one of these then sold the rim. I plan to eventually lace it to a 4" Beast rim with a Surly Black Floyd when I build out my Nanner Puddin Screamer bike.
KGrHqZHJCYFIb3y20FBSN4Ff5qZw60_57_zpse507db85.jpg

Hello there,

I have bought a new SA hub as shown on this wheel, now I want the wheel put together.

Question... are those spokes for the combination SX-RB3-hub with 20" wheel standard spokes, so yes do you perhaps know wich lenght they are... or are these spokes made by scratch for this combination?

Thanks !!!

Belgian greetings.

I don't remember if I kept those spokes when I de-laced my hub out of the wheel. I sold the rim to recoup some of my cost. They were normal 14g spokes, but probably shorter than most spokes out there. I will look and let you know.

I don't remember if I kept those spokes when I de-laced my hub out of the wheel. I sold the rim to recoup some of my cost. They were normal 14g spokes, but probably shorter than most spokes out there. I will look and let you know.

Oh, that would be very nice of you... that's what I'm afraid of, that I will need some spokes with an anormal (short) lenght.

Grtz and already thanks !!!

Nexus 3 speed words great for 4" wide rims with 4.8" tires. Very common set up for internal fat tires.
Hello there, the problem is not the width of the wheel but the width between the 2 legs of the rear bridge, it needs an axle from about 20 cm... so I bought the SA SX-RB3 with an axle of 21,5 cm... it's rather expensive bit it fits well and it looks great too.

Grtz

So... rear wheel is back from the painter and has matching color with the front wheel.

So now its time to get these 2 together...

Hope its easy to find someone to fix the wheel properly and clean without damaging the paint and hub and that its not to hard to find the right spokes.

grtz

Thanks!
grtz
Can you let me know how long it took to get your street hog tired from Germany once you ordered them. Thanks Alan

Can you let me know how long it took to get your street hog tired from Germany once you ordered them. Thanks Alan

Hello, I'm living in Belgium and thats near Germany of course that could make a difference with the states...
But after ordering and making the payment the same day its mostly send of two days later and so i receive the parts about 4 to 5 days after ordering them. Have ordered 3 times at classic cycle in Germany so far and always the same service and delivering within 5 days.

grtz

Latest posts

Back