open to suggestions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll try to get a decent entry together before it's over. This bike has been in my extra pile of frames for years. Is it a spaceliner? There's no name on it anywhere. I'm going to do it ratstyle with a space theme somehow, so I'm open to suggestions.

2lntqoj.jpg

Looks cool! not quite a spaceliner. The lower set of bars would mount on the headstock tube below the upper bars. Definitely spacy though. I wish I had that frame in my pile. :)

Great frane! I can very easily see the beehive springer from your tandem on the front of that frame...

'Lost in Space' was one of my favorite shows as a kid.......
...but anyway back to the bike, I would try to emphasize the cool comet like shape inherently built into the frame. Maybe a full length 'tank' or a paint job that punches it out. As MarkM said 'endless possibilities. If you ever want to sell it let me know.
lost-1-1.gif

I looked at other pics of old Ross's, it looks like them. It's middleweight, so I don't know how I'll get a wide tire on the rear. I like the idea of a tank, but I don't have metal fabrication available, so "something else" will have to do. If the beehive fits, it looks like it'll be given a try too. The original forks have some severe rust at the bottom. Now I'll need another set of forks for my tandem. Thanks for the ideas.

Well, it's on the workbench. I don't know how I'll get it done in time, but I'll give it a try.

6xyeja.jpg

That sure looks like it, same bent forks too.

This is a closeup of the seat I'm going to use. It's off a 1970 Phillips women's one speed. I like the 3 springs, now to figure how to make them shiny.

243jed4.jpg

Unfortunately the beehive springer steering tube was too short. By only an inch. I had thought of cutting a half inch off the top and bottom of the frame headtube, but I didn't want to cut the frame. So it's going with the original forks. It looks like I'll make the deadline.

I put the wheels on after the pedals and chain loosened up and took it for a test ride. It rides ok for having slightly bent forks, but I'll try to gently bend them straight somehow. Then I placed the fenders and homemade tank on for a look:

k2g66u.jpg

Now the real work begins.

Tried to take off a pedal. No room for a standard combination wrench, too narrow a space between the crank and pedal. Any suggestions? I may have to take it to a bike shop. Took the forks off. What a mess! It looks like the steering race is part of the chrome fork cap, unless it's just rusted together.

2gv0yyp.jpg

Latest posts

Back