One day build- Schwinn Runabout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pretty bummed out lately about the total lack of progress on my Build Off bike, so I figured I'd step away from it and play with something else. I had this rusty and neglected Schwinn Runabout 10 speed sitting in the backyard, so I pulled it out of the weeds to see what I could do with it.
shelby009.jpg

Once I started tearing it down it was obvious that the wheels and cables were shot. Most of the parts looked salvageable and fortunately the frame and fork were straight, which surprised me because the front wheel looked like it took a hard hit.
runabout003.jpg

runabout006.jpg

I was originally going to strip it down to bare metal to prime and paint it, but I really liked the original paint and rust combo. A little WD-40 on a rag and a lot of rubbing took away all of the chalkiness, and I think it came out pretty cool. Easiest paint job I've done in a long time.
runabout008.jpg

runabout007.jpg

I started mocking it up with different wheel and tire combos since the originals were goners. I wanted to run a 26 x 1.75 cruiser rim, but I was worried the tires wouldn't clear the frame, and they didn't. Then I remembered that I had a set of Metro low profile slicks and on the cruiser rims they cleared the frame and fork with no issues. I love the way they look too, like a modern sportbike tire.
runabout009.jpg

I pulled the big chainring and guard off the crankset and cleaned them up, along with the original headset, stem, bars, seatpost and clamp. Spent a few minutes on the seat with some Meguiars leather/vinyl conditioner and it came out pretty good. Spent another few minutes with some tape and a little black spray paint and touched up the seatpan and springs. I found a set of gold sparkle Schwinn grips in my stash of parts and started reassembling everything.
runabout010.jpg

runabout011.jpg

Done. Took it for a spin and it rides pretty darn good...I'll be riding this one a lot this summer. Fortunately I'm short enough that I can run the seat this low and still ride it comfortably. I'm pretty stoked on how it came out for a one day build.
runabout016.jpg

runabout012.jpg

runabout019.jpg

Now to get back on the Build Off bike...

i love being able to just throw something together like that and make it work on the first try. very cool looking bike and just think it only took you a day! i really dig the wheel/tire combo. nice work bro!

Easy E

Rat Rod said:
Turned out cool Pete.

Reminds me of the Varsity I put together one time...

100_6536.jpg
I like your build E .. and I am sorry steve flet the need to step on your post and show you up with his :lol: :p :p :lol:
and in case you missed it.. I am pulling your chain Steve... :lol: you dont have time for this stuff there is the TV
show to think of..

E great build .. I would buy a bike like that long before I would buy a 10 speed

I love the strip down, simplification builds. Take a bike that's crapped out and a little swabbing and swapping and hey presto! A great rider. The paint on yours did turn out cool, showing what it was, but cleaned up.

I worked this one kinda on the same principle.

jauntydone.jpg

I liked the "patina" on this bike too, so I just gloss cleared over chips, rust, grease, bird poop, everything. I love it now, it's my new "ice cream bike" . Sorry to rejack your thread! :lol:

Great work bmxpete :!:

Love the look of that bike and its pure simplicity.....has given me inspiration for a Racer I have laying around. :D

Latest posts

Back