Old sears bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently saw a picture of "Boiled linseed oil". Before that I always thought I have to buy linseed oil and boil it at home in a pot or a kettle. :crazy:
Ha-ha me too!

I actually went to Lowe’s looking for linseed oil and they had boiled linseed oil on the shelf!

I was like, wow, that’s handy!

lol

Hi Jude and all, Do you brush the Boiled Linseed Oil or spray it? If spraying, what do you use to spray with?
I definitely will use it on the Schwinn Typhoon.
Yep, you could use a rag or brush.

On this bike, I thought I would have to use a brush for tight spots; mainly the top of the forks.

@horsefarmer is right, wipe it on, soak it in the sun, wipe off any excess later.

One note, being oil, I noticed it did bleed, or expand. There were tight spots I missed and after 2 days of sitting, the spots somehow “filled in.”

Finally, the stuff is HIGHLY combustible. There are good Youtube videos showing how dangerous and how to dispose.

Be careful and I look forward to seeing your results!!!

Last edited:
Ok, so, as I’m planning on riding and flipping this, the wheels I scabbed off the grammaw patina bike weren’t too hot; I could have doinked with them to true them, but I actually had another set that were off that beach cruiser I found on the curb in the back of our neighborhood.

They’re actually pretty good wheels.

I tried to make some fake rust!!! It came out in the end I think, but did not go completely as planned!!!

The maroon paint I bought was closer to hot pink than maroon!!!! And the brown rust lookin’ paint I got to cover and compliment the maroon was more like a clear coat with tan colored flecks in it!!!

Fortunately I had some funky brown metallic in my cabinet that saved the job!!!

So; “hot maroon,” brown fleck clear coat and brown metallic: poof!!! Fake rust!!!

Patina look with new ride feel!!!!
D4AC85EE-3CDB-45EF-920B-3BB965400C82.jpeg
58F7C48F-7DE1-4110-8A8A-22999BBEFA12.jpeg
F4577257-E5BD-41AA-916A-F316A1D8348C.jpeg
7404F8B2-DC1B-44C5-981C-C10CEE1F8BF2.jpeg

Woo-hooo!

Sort of an accident, but it’s done!!!!

I just started piddling on this tonight thinking I’d do the crank and relax, but one thing led to another and next thing you know, I’m 3.5 miles in on my test ride!

Made it the full 7, so, it’s clear to sell!!!

It does have a big box coaster wheel on it that whines like crazy when coasting.

Anyone got any good tricks to quiet it down?
6757214B-8C92-4EF1-8771-99C574E4E65B.jpeg
7EF61313-3919-4211-844A-DB3206C767BF.jpeg
8ACC8E6B-B83B-411C-9EF0-9D417E76AA5C.jpeg

Woo-hooo!

Sort of an accident, but it’s done!!!!

I just started piddling on this tonight thinking I’d do the crank and relax, but one thing led to another and next thing you know, I’m 3.5 miles in on my test ride!

Made it the full 7, so, it’s clear to sell!!!

It does have a big box coaster wheel on it that whines like crazy when coasting.

Anyone got any good tricks to quiet it down?View attachment 127580View attachment 127581View attachment 127582
I had one of them that made noise. I took it apart, couldn't find anything wrong, lubed and put back together and it was quiet! I don't know why.

Did the BLO loose all of the stickiness? I'm getting one ready to try this weekend.
Yes; however, as it lost it’s tackiness, it also lost gloss.

I put a super fine coat on before the photo shoot to make it glossy.

When the tackiness is gone, the sheen would be equal to a satin finish.

Yes; however, as it lost it’s tackiness, it also lost gloss.

I put a super fine coat on before the photo shoot to make it glossy.

When the tackiness is gone, the sheen would be equal to a satin finish.
Perfect, I was trying to decide between a satin clear or BLO for this bike but I have BLO on hand so the choice is made. I didn't want it to look like a fuzzy mouse if it stayed tacky.

Anyone got any good tricks to quiet it down?
I've had 2 of these China clone Shimano type coasters which have been noisy, before and after disassembly and lube. Both were new. The cure is to put some miles on them. I guess some internal parts have to wear a bit... :)

Latest posts

Back