Old schwinn ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have an old schwinn here can anyone tell the model I thinking maybe a Panther
starz025.jpg

Locking springer fork :shock: Nice. Looks like a wasp to me. My ladies wasp has the same chainguard but they may have used it on others. Post the serial # and we can give you the year and direct you to the catalogs

WIth the locking fork, a Phantom (Black, Red or Green) is the most likely possibility. Option 2 would be a Streamliner (what the B-6 became) See if there are any ghost marks on the chainguard where the decal would be.

I agree with elginkid. Phantom or Streamliner if the fork is original to the frame. My '55 Phantom came with the newer style springfork but yours could still be original. Does the fork actually lock? All cantilever frames did not have the little welded tab inside the headtube that the locking bearing cup engaged in. If the frame has the tab it was probably a more deluxe bike like the Phantom or Streamliner as opposed to a Wasp or other more stripped down model. Gary

I vote for Wasp looking at the guard. The raised lower ridge an the guard was striped in white like the Wasp. It's not a Hornet and the Phantom and Streamliner guards both had the white stripes on either side of the ridge, not on top. If that's the case, the forks were swapped. If the forks are original, then the guard was swapped. Any way you look at it, it's an awesome bike. Is it a 24"? If so, it's not a Phantom or Jag.

http://www.schwinncruisers.com/schwinn- ... e-catalog/

The serial number won't give you the model, only the date of manufacture. There are some things you can do to narrow down what model it is. On your bike, it looks like the chainguard is a replacement, but maybe it is original, just painted differently. A name will be on there under the repaint, hopefully. Sometimes, if you hold the guard at an angle to the light, you can see the outline of the name. I would also see what color the forks were originally along with the frame. Take the forks off and see what color is on the steering tube, the part hidden in the frame. You can then check the original color of the frame by taking the cranks off and seeing what color the inside of the bottom bracket is, or it can be seen where the repaint is chipped. (Also check the year on the inside of the cranks, 2 digits, they may be a replacement because the sprocket isn't a Phantom) Some of that may be primer color though. Same with the chainguard. On those frames, look for scallops on the top tubes near the front. Every little bit helps.

I think that if either the fork, or the guard has been replaced, I'd vote for the guard, seeing as it's a different color than the frame and fork.

Latest posts

Back