Old School Rigid MTB's

Jul 13, 2012
wildrice said:
Got this one for free. About 20 yr old Specialized Hardrock. Great shape. Aired up tires and rode it around a lil bit.

I have the same one in green with yellow lettering, bought it at my lbs with the intent to learn to ride for $110 but felt bad scratching it up and i won a wally world bike for $5. Have any clue what year? I guess late 80's.

Jan 25, 2011
St. Augustine, Florida
Hey 41DX,, awesome collection!!!!!!!! and that 2nd shot of you riding is classic, way back off the seat. I really think that todays MTB'ers have no idea the skill level it took to get a fully rigid bike down the trails.

Dec 10, 2006
Chattanooga Tennessee
Vipon said:
Hey 41DX,, awesome collection!!!!!!!! and that 2nd shot of you riding is classic, way back off the seat. I really think that todays MTB'ers have no idea the skill level it took to get a fully rigid bike down the trails.
Some of us do... :D

Jun 3, 2008
Vipon said:
Thanks for the nice compliment. The thing I like about that picture is the feel of the ride shown by the way the the chain is slapping..

I should have had it in the big ring.......

Downhill course Keyesville classic....

Jan 12, 2013
Here's mine from the early 90's. Now as a single speed with a few updated parts.
As it was for 20 years

And Now

Jul 6, 2012
Ft. Worth, TX
Here's "Babe the Blue Ox" in all her glory. She's an `89 Trek 830 Antelope (manufactured 10/88) that I picked up at Goodwill for $15 last year. I've spent 10x that getting her to the point she's at now. I love this bike, it has it's own personality. Somedays she's lazy and fights every crank and shift, other days I have a hard time keeping up with her.

Jun 29, 2009
SoCal
My first mtn. bike, a '91 Diamondback Ascent EX. A long-time roadie, I Instantly fell in love with off-road riding.
I've had a couple of other of other mtn. bikes since then (full susp.) which were a lot more plush riding, but this is still the best handling by far. An absolute blast to ride.
I just cleaned it up and put it all back together maybe a year or so ago. Didn't have all the original stuff (REALLY wish I still had the original gumwall tires... :? ), but did it up the way it was with all the stuff I'd put on it when I last rode it on a regular basis, so there's some major nostalgia going on anyway. Love the way they ran the three cables across the top tube. MmmMmmMmmmm!

Dec 2, 2011
Northern, IL.
biss-ness said:
Vipon said:
Some of us do... :D

I'd so love to add one of those Treks to my corral , Is that a Whisky fork ?