Old newbie here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been riding bikes since I can't remember. The first bike my dad got for me was a 26" girls bike that was cast off by one of his sisters. He had to remove the seat so it wouldn't poke me in the back while I stood on the pedals. It could not have happened if it were a boys bike. After that I found a frame, fork, and crank assembly on a pile of junk ready to be hauled of the the "dump." I paid a guy 50 cents for it and started piecing it together using parts from the old girls bike and the Sears catalog. I rode that bike through high school.

The years went on and other bikes came and went. Last fall my wife brought home a couple of old bikes (one boys, one girls) from her dad's barn so that I could make them into 'yard art.' I immediately recognized the skip tooth sweetheart sprocket on the boys bike and identified it as a '52 "Standard bike" for boys. I've now secured the necessary parts to make it into a Hornet.

I made the mistake of leaving the barn bikes alone in the dark basement. Before I knew it the bike population in the basement had multiplied. I'm in the process of bringing all of the bikes I have in my signature block back to an original state. I've already refurbished and sold a couple of girls Schwinns, a Hollywood and a Starlet III , and a ''51 Red Phantom (that sale financing all of the other restorations.) - Pictures later. We're still looking for 'yard art' bikes.

I also own four Buick Rivieras which take more time and money that do the bikes but they're my real passion.

Most of all I enjoy relating to ideas of others and their ability to take an idea and bring it to reality, whether it be a concurs restoration or the rat rod of their dreams.

Ed

welcome would love to see sme pics of your bikes!!

Latest posts

Back