Old Manse Hawthorne...LAST DAY RIDE VIDEO! pg 9 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you went with your gut on the light!
The placement looks perfect and I love the size and patina of the light.
Looking sharp brother!
Thanks man! I'm going to try something with a rear light this afternoon. Then maybe head down to the river for some 'fountain shots'.....gettin' close.....:nerd:

that mount is beautiful!
Thanks. My tried and true 1/8" x 1/2" steel. Drills and bends fairly easily, but is strong to boot. And, it rusts just looking at it, so that's fine by me.
Getting that bolt bent around the head tube was a little tricky, but it's not going anywhere soon! :grin:

A beautiful night in the upper Midwest. Decided to load up the Rat Trap and take some bikes to the weekly car show close by.

Turns out the host (Culver's hamburger joint) is a bike fan too. He greeted me with my free Double Classic burger coupon before I could even get the bikes out of the trailer!

Fun to mingle with the car guys. Everybody loves the old bikes.
carshow2.jpg
carshow1.jpg

carshow3.jpg

The Do-Ray trademark was granted to the Doray Lamp Co, Chicago, IL in 1947. Both my headlight and tail light are Do-Ray brand lights. They specialized in all kinds of automotive lights.

These old glass lens lights are really cool. Well made, and artistic as well.

This tail light had a hard fabric rubber strap with a bracket on the end for mounting, likely a clearance lamp for a tractor or some other implement. I once again gutted the lamp, and inserted an LED key chain flashlight for the light source.

I'm feeling like this was the finishing touch on this build. In the next couple of days I will take the Old Manse out to some prime photo locations and then put the wraps on another RRB build off for another year!

As I received it:
dorayrear.jpg

Took it apart and inserted the LED mini flashlight:
dorayparts1.jpg

The on/off button end sticks out the back for easy access. I cut the hole big enough for the threaded part of the cylinder, and so the flange (black part) butted up against the lamp housing. Then threaded the business end on.
ledmount.jpg

I know it's amber, and not red, but it's a rat rod bike, right? And it's a little more orange in person than the pics show. I ran two 6 x 32 1 inch bolts through the housing, one side of the strap and back through the other side; wrapping the seat spring brace in between. Really tight, strong fit!
doray2.jpg

And now for a little 'light show'....

doray3.jpg
doray4.jpg
dorayhead1.jpg
lights1.jpg
lights2.jpg

Way to go man! Killer rat!

I don't think there's an official rule, but I'm not sure you can give yourself the Oddjob award for ratisfaction.:21:
Haha! Nope, only for 'like minds' who make me feel like it could be a bike I would have built.

Revelers of the Rusty. Patrons of the Patina.
Veterans of the Vintage. Rats of the Rod.

My aunt is an artist who lives in Tucson, AZ. She is also an avid cyclist, and spotted this along one of her routes the other day.

Thought everybody here might enjoy it as well.

@sdframe , Steve, have you run across this? She says it is at Stone and 6th in Tucson.

mural in tucson.jpg

My aunt is an artist who lives in Tucson, AZ. She is also an avid cyclist, and spotted this along one of her routes the other day.

Thought everybody here might enjoy it as well.

@sdframe , Steve, have you run across this? She says it is at Stone and 6th in Tucson.

View attachment 55305
Looks like a pretty cool mural. [emoji106]

Building..... Riding.....

Latest posts

Back