Old Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help on the year of this Hawthorne? Serial number is C04645 and I'm pretty sure there's a Cw stamp at the end.
stuff041_zps5edbef7d.jpg

Update. First I have the wrong letter in the serial number.... It's G 04645. So if anyone can help me with the year that would be great.
After re greasing and putting on new tires and tubes this thing rides NICE!!! It's my new favorite ride. I need to know the year so I can track down the correct fenders and chain guard for it. I also need to know if this frame would have/could have ever had a tank. I love the ride of this bike but I eventually want to have all tank bikes.
Thanks for any help.

If your bike had a tank the paint would be worn on the top tube and head tube where the tank hit. From your pic, it doesn't look like there are any marks on your frame to me. They might have made a tank for that style frame, though. Gary

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. It rides so nice it's going to be a keeper no matter what but now I know I have a chance of turning it into a tanker. Now the search starts for the body parts.

themotorcycleguy said:
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. It rides so nice it's going to be a keeper no matter what but now I know I have a chance of turning it into a tanker. Now the search starts for the body parts.

Post an ad in the want section. I don't see them for sale very often but they are not rare.

Also, when looking for fenders, if you plan on putting a rack, the rear should only have 1 lower brace and a hole in top of the fender. If not putting a rack, it should have 2 sets of braces. Of course you can do what I did on one of mine and remove the upper brace and drill a hole. Your bike might have had the curved braces also.

themotorcycleguy said:
Update. First I have the wrong letter in the serial number.... It's G 04645. So if anyone can help me with the year that would be great.
After re greasing and putting on new tires and tubes this thing rides NICE!!! It's my new favorite ride. I need to know the year so I can track down the correct fenders and chain guard for it. I also need to know if this frame would have/could have ever had a tank. I love the ride of this bike but I eventually want to have all tank bikes.
Thanks for any help.

G 04645 Cw pushes the build date into approximately early 1949.

ratina said:
It's been repainted so there is no way of knowing what was there. They did make tanks for this frame.

You think that frame has been repainted? So...did they paint the white graphics after the paint job or did they mask off the graphics when they repainted? I'm skeptical... Gary

Yes, it's been repainted. [pretty nice job though] It has red peeking through in a number of spots. The white is painted on over the black and up close you can see how uneven the edges are.

Well then, kudos the to person who painted those graphics. Very professional looking for an amateur paint job. Carry on! :wink: Gary

B607 said:
ratina said:
It's been repainted so there is no way of knowing what was there. They did make tanks for this frame.

You think that frame has been repainted? So...did they paint the white graphics after the paint job or did they mask off the graphics when they repainted? I'm skeptical... Gary

Yeah its not a CWC paint pattern. It's very cool and if it was mine I would leave it

Latest posts

Back