RRBBO13 Old Goat (《 94 Proflex 》 )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do own a MTb my hate is not for the MTB but the soccer mom-ish attitude of both male and female MTB riders in general that stems from the 80's. LOL They rode 400.00 bikes thinking they them selves were better than the rest while wearing store bought by themselves, sponsor style MTB riding gear trying to look like something they were not, when I was wearing sponsor supplied racing gear, and them not knowing that at the time my "Little Kids bike" cost 1300.00 in 83 to build looked down at me and other top notch BMX racers. They also did not know that it was a BMX racer from Mongoose who started the whole MTB craze. They did not know the bike they were riding was born from BMX to 24" BMX to 2 speed BMX to the MTB. They were to up-nosed and snobby to listen when we the BMX-er knew more about the MTB bike they were riding than they did. They were riding them to try to be cool and not because they really had a passion for them (They thought it was a status symbol. Today their attitudes have finally changed. It was not the MTB I hate it is the early attitude of the MTB rider/racer. And this/that is real history.

I would have to disagree with your overall assessment of 'early MTB history' based on your experience alone. Sounds like you ran into the kind of folks that are present in every sport, the ones who are trying to be something based on popularity or recognition or coolness.

I found the MTB racing community to be very welcoming and down to earth guys who were passionate about their sport, and worked hard to hone their skills and share their knowledge with those of us who were just getting started in 1987.

That course you rode in a park in flat Chicago was not an MTB course. It was a BMX course, set up for an introduction into mountain bikes, so it is not surprising you and the cruiser guy did well. It's interesting that they set it up for a 'race' format, and not just a chance for people to get on a MTB and try one.

While many successful MTB racers / riders ( the ones that were born after 1960 ) had their roots in BMX, there were many of us who started mountain biking in our 30's during the late '80s. It was hardly a 'soccer mom' (whatever that is?) mentality. We found a healthy alternative that provided a way to explore the often unreachable-by-foot limits of the outdoors and trails. And turned some winter only used trails ( downhill and cross country skiing) into year-round use trails that helped sustain and broaden the scope of many a ski area and other recreational land.

Sorry for the side topic nature of this comment, @metalchewy , I just felt another perspective was needed on the 'real history' of the MTB.

Remember, just because BMX came first, doesn't make it better, or more important.

Sorry for the side topic nature of this comment, @metalchewy , I just felt another perspective was needed on the 'real history' of the MTB.

Remember, just because BMX came first, doesn't make it better, or more important.

Np @OddJob. It sounds like your experiences with the early MTB croud was with the enthusiasts and sportsmen/sportswomen. It sounds like it wasn't wholly as snobbish as it seemed from the area I grew up in. That's one of the reasons I probably never gave it a real consideration before 18 or 19 years old.

After I moved out in 89, On campus where kids were getting MTB for transportation, the elitist attitude that I had found locally was also gone. Still took a few years to change my way of thought.

MtB history: A bit on Bob Girvin the creator of Proflex and girvin products. I never had the chance to meet him, but I am sure we could shoot the breeze for hours if we had...

https://mmbhof.org/bob-girvin/

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-events/mtb-hall-of-fame-induction-2008/

The 2004 Proflex Generation 5, 554 Specs:
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=15368

MSRP New
$999

Product Details
Weight: 28
Sizes: 14inch, 16inch, 18inch, 20inch
Wheels and Tires
Hubs: Shimano Deore LX
Rims: Sun Metal L18, 32-hole
Tires: 26 x 2.10inch Ritchey Z-Max

Components
Brakeset: Shimano STX brakes, levers
Shift Levers: Shimano STX Rapidfire Plus w/Optical Gear Display
Crankset: Shimano STX, 24/32/42 teeth
Pedals: Sakae MTP-129 w/Girvin clips
Rear Cogs: 7-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
Seatpost: Kalloy
Saddle: Vetta SL
Handlebar: Zoom 170g alloy
Handlebar Stem: HL chromoly

Inventory:

I took a bunch of pictures. It was 110 outside when I did, so these are in the house, in view of the kitchen and my workspace.

Frame: Proflex Generation 5 20"
6b21d0a108c60404bd5085cc4a9061a4.jpg

Hubs: Upgraded - Shimano STX Parrallax
Rims: Upgraded - Levanter
Seatpost: Kalloy

Brakeset: Shimano STX brakes, levers
a59cc33c2aafdf5148b007f3c7fbba63.jpg
9a9a0bb246e6759c9ff8f80a9b5819ec.jpg

Shift Levers: Shimano STX Rapidfire Plus w/Optical Gear Display
7652d190c8c290d86e6f4fdf98b91499.jpg

Drivetrain: Shimano STX
3b675d752563f576d2462a7ab3e240d4.jpg
dbe8ca030e390412339439cb2bd88f2f.jpg

Fork: Girvin Fastrax
Handlebar: Zoom 170g alloy
Handlebar Stem: HL chromoly
Bar extensions: TBD
46a9bbae5278d5ec9caab830334bb65b.jpg

Crankset: Will Upgrade - 175 Sugino Impel 300, 20/32/42 teeth
5f81f9a155a3a18964219d17370e750c.jpg

That Sugino crank is actually pretty cool. Compact Drive set up with 32-42 chain rings and the climber 20t granny gear.

That Sugino crank is actually pretty cool. Compact Drive set up with 32-42 chain rings and the climber 20t granny gear.
So cool, it was on a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo... another frame I am collecting vintage parts for...

d026831617c70ea09ac4ab48641a7d1d.jpg

For this proflex Build, I am stealing its cranks. Will consider putting them back if I find the rock shox fork that would have been on the hookooekoo.

Last edited:
i BOUGHT A pROfLEX JUST FOR THE gIRVIN FORK; GAVE THE REST OF THE BIKE TO A FRIEND. Okay, the caps lock is off. I'm thinking of buying a spring kit to replace the elastomers, which I believe will melt in the Tucson heat. Any thoughts on these spring conversion kits?

i BOUGHT A pROfLEX JUST FOR THE gIRVIN FORK; GAVE THE REST OF THE BIKE TO A FRIEND. Okay, the caps lock is off. I'm thinking of buying a spring kit to replace the elastomers, which I believe will melt in the Tucson heat. Any thoughts on these spring conversion kits?
For off-road use, springs are dangerous. Street use, a spring would be bouncy, not sure how safe. With the vector+s, the elastomer dampened a bit, and springs just bounce.

They do have a couple of air sprung shock replacements that bolt on though, that are air charged similar to some of the other shocks out there. Can't vouch for safety, but they do look kewl [emoji106] https://www.risseracing.com/proflex.shtml

Cool frame!

Elastomer removal Tips
... 3. For painted surfaces, 190Proof everclear and a lot of elbow grease to scrub off paint and rubber surfaces.
Do you drink it first and then add elbow grease or rub it on the surface? :21:

@FunkMe nice to see you here :)

I am curious, were the MTBs in Greece under European brand names or did they get the US imports back then also?
Name some USA brand names...

I think that's a trick question ^ ! :bigsmile:

If you mean bicycle companies based in the USA that produced mountain bikes, I can start a long list. If you mean USA companies that made bikes in the USA, that list is shorter.

I still think it's a trick question, either way ! :21:

I think that's a trick question ^ ! :bigsmile:

If you mean bicycle companies based in the USA that produced mountain bikes, I can start a long list. If you mean USA companies that made bikes in the USA, that list is shorter.

I still think it's a trick question, either way ! :21:
I too had started a small list, then added a couple, then a few more and, lost the draft..

I agree with you, there are a lot and one will always missed in the list.
To your point. The list is way bigger than I can research, so it was unfair to ask such a silly thing.

I found kind of a list, but not by date.
https://www.oldglorymtb.com/mountain-bikes-made-in-america/

My 80s exposure to MTB was limited by the location I was in.

We really only saw them up on campus in the next town over. The few mtbs in town where I grew up were Specialized and Cannondale.

Being a mountain farming town, way more kids had motorcycles or three/four wheelers (ATV) than mountain bikes. Used dirt bikes or three wheeler's cost less....

The same where I grew up,we had motorcycles and dragster bicycles,I remember my brother had 2 new kmart mtb. I have a nice trek still in storage back in OZ. Here in Greece I have a few. I have a Carraro elevated chain stay, needs some tlc...
file.php

The same where I grew up,we had motorcycles and dragster bicycles,I remember my brother had 2 new kmart mtb. I have a nice trek still in storage back in OZ. Here in Greece I have a few. I have a Carraro elevated chain stay, needs some tlc...
file.php
That's a cool looking hard tail. It does look like it would climb well. Really liking those mud guards on that! [emoji106]

Have a Trek 820 that I picked up of the curb on trash day awhile back. I may steal some components that I put on that frame. the new/nice bottom bracket that I had put in and 23.5" Kalin Bars. Both will be good upgrades.

Cool frame!

Do you drink it first and then add elbow grease or rub it on the surface? :21:
Oh, the only thing I ever drink that in, is Jungle Juice. Back when we were younger I remember Welchs soda and a bottle of EC, became purple passions. I still remember those headaches.

Usually for me, it's a household cleaner and solvent. [emoji106]

Washed and tossed down to dry. Walked in to get the phone and came back out and the were almost dry.
c84258f10458dd16b6a4820642ca005a.jpg

Cleaned off some paint transfer and.found the paint has yellowed a bit over the years.

c9f5a0e59894fda0c698771c52cb5785.jpg
sticker peeled off
5c6d1b99fdfc2c2022ffb8bfb9b0a463.jpg

Put the tires on and rolled it outside for a pic. 108 outside now.
795a28b2416f36d764635e76f87d5fcd.jpg

In 2001, I actually bought my first mountain bike. I had a decent bonus from work and bought us all a bikes.
920b3d63fca8dfe879ece05c282c8370.jpg

Still on a budget, buying 4 bikes, I had visited a couple shops in Loveland, two in Longmont, and the Gary Fisher shop in Boulder. I ended up buying at wheat ridge cyclery for mine. My daughter got a specialized hot rock, my son, a torker stallion, and I eventually picked a last year's model specialized hard rock comp.
cdbca9d4797fceb7968342c525740e75.jpg

I saw an rockbopper comp XC FSR while I was there that was outta the budget that I had liked as well. A couple years ago a friend sold me his, so I have almost a matched pair of A1 bikes.
4e586017315a54bae98d1625c270427e.jpg

My son's stallion is in the shed, at.some point may put it back together. we gave the hotrock to my neice.

So, as you may have noticed. No back shock. The front fork is also frozen solid. I took one side apart shortly after I got the bike and the elastomer there were goo.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/shocks.htm

I did some searching and made a call last Monday to this great guy named Jim at suspension fork parts. I explained to him what I had. Singe big elastomer on back, with fastrax on front. Asked if I needed anything additional, and made an order online for the replacement parts I needed. Ez peezy.

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/

Ordered on Monday. Arrived today:
96e268a4158a0878f7ea15fc8c8c1c5e.jpg

Latest posts

Back