Old cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do those things go clunking without breaking? The two other versions of this frame that I have shake like drunk Weeble Wobbles. The TRM tank on one helps a good amount on Interrobang, but it's still a bit like a Del Sol at speed on a neglected New England road where the front and back shake in opposition to each other.
Are the road bikes like that? They seem to have the top tube a bit higher.
20191211_201642.jpg

Are the road bikes like that? They seem to have the top tube a bit higher.
View attachment 110245

I've only ridden '90s cromoly and aluminum hybrids, '80s cromoly and hiten mixtes, and the two '60s cold-rolled seam-tube steel Spaceliner-types. I mostly only rode the former two types up and down the street a few times as part of tuning them, but Retro Rocket ('90s aluminum step-through) has a surprising chunk of miles on it (I like to make people laugh and women love it, especially) and I never noticed anything flexing or creaking. The Spaceliner and Firebolt, though, shake like cornered rabbits and flex enough that the drive crank is starting to take the paint off the chain stay on the Spaceliner and there's about a 1/4" of static clearance.

I would think the road bikes are fine. Not only are the top tubes higher up, but more securely connected to the seat tube, of much larger diameter, built for adults, and of much better tubing (the last is a guess, but it would be tough to get worse than the middleweights' tubing, you could really only match it). I don't want to dump all over the Spaceliner types as I really like the look of them (I wish someone would remake the frame design in modern tubing with better construction especially as I'd bet they'd do well with current components, colors, and accessories) and I am way outside their designed use in height and weight, so I put a lot more force combined with greater leverage on these poor frames. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm certainly much bigger than the early '60s teenage girls they were intended for.

I have never before seem a seat this hideous. I at first thought it was not a seat.
I agree but they were the bomb back in the day and it is the seat that came on his old cruiser . I think I would use it just so it would give me something to laugh about .
A LOL seat ?

Last edited:
I agree but they were the bomb back in the day and it is the seat that came on his old cruiser . I think I would use it just so it would give me something to laugh about .
A LOL seat ?
It looks like someone cut out a flat piece of leather that they were going to fold into a seat.

I found out that someone else took the frame home. I would not have wanted it anyway after what I heard about the flexyness.

I've had a couple of those in the boy's version. Their geometry is very laid back, good for a cruiser, almost like crank forward bikes.
View attachment 110495
I agree, they are great riding bikes despite questionable build quality. The Geometry is actually the same on these as on later CWC's. AMF bought CWC and made their bike on the same blueprint.

Latest posts

Back