Old cruiser

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by Grant, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Grant

Grant

Are the road bikes like that? They seem to have the top tube a bit higher.
    20191211_201642.jpg

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

It isn't mine, but how about a link to its thread? Lots of pictures there. Be warned, price is no object for these guys. Bmxmuseum is a dangerous place!
    https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=756127

rrtbike and Grant like this.
  3. Duchess

Duchess

I've only ridden '90s cromoly and aluminum hybrids, '80s cromoly and hiten mixtes, and the two '60s cold-rolled seam-tube steel Spaceliner-types. I mostly only rode the former two types up and down the street a few times as part of tuning them, but Retro Rocket ('90s aluminum step-through) has a surprising chunk of miles on it (I like to make people laugh and women love it, especially) and I never noticed anything flexing or creaking. The Spaceliner and Firebolt, though, shake like cornered rabbits and flex enough that the drive crank is starting to take the paint off the chain stay on the Spaceliner and there's about a 1/4" of static clearance.

I would think the road bikes are fine. Not only are the top tubes higher up, but more securely connected to the seat tube, of much larger diameter, built for adults, and of much better tubing (the last is a guess, but it would be tough to get worse than the middleweights' tubing, you could really only match it). I don't want to dump all over the Spaceliner types as I really like the look of them (I wish someone would remake the frame design in modern tubing with better construction especially as I'd bet they'd do well with current components, colors, and accessories) and I am way outside their designed use in height and weight, so I put a lot more force combined with greater leverage on these poor frames. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm certainly much bigger than the early '60s teenage girls they were intended for.

Grant likes this.
  4. Wildcat

Wildcat

Is that a Hawthorne (Snyder) frame?

5. Grant

Grant

Maybe a Western Flyer.

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

According to the thread linked above: "Early 30s Harris/Snyder Black Beauty".

rrtbike and Wildcat like this.
  7. sandman

sandman

This is on Ebay for under $ 20
    [​IMG]

8. Grant

Grant

I have never before seem a seat this hideous. I at first thought it was not a seat.

9. sandman

sandman

I agree but they were the bomb back in the day and it is the seat that came on his old cruiser . I think I would use it just so it would give me something to laugh about .
    A LOL seat ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Grant likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant

It looks like someone cut out a flat piece of leather that they were going to fold into a seat.

11. Brian macumber

Brian macumber

It has a spaceship look to it

RustyGold and Grant like this.
  12. Grant

Grant

I have those exact same bars that came with the grips. The grips had cuts in them, but the bars are in brand new condition.

sandman likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant

I found out that someone else took the frame home. I would not have wanted it anyway after what I heard about the flexyness.

14. Wildcat

Wildcat

I've had a couple of those in the boy's version. Their geometry is very laid back, good for a cruiser, almost like crank forward bikes.
    34xqfzt.jpg