Oil in 3 speed hub and crankset

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering if someone can tell me what type of oil and how much to use in the rear hub and crankset of an old (1958-1963)JC Higgins 3 speed.? There are oil ports at both locations. Thank you

I have used 3 in 1 electric motor oil in 3 speed hubs. It is SAE 20 weight.
il_fullxfull.840584698_thtc.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I am not starting with a dry hub, or at least I don't think its dry. Should I use 30w or 20w for the crank also?

Along with the 30w motor oil added to the port, I take off the shifter, with the chain or rod, put some oil right in the axle then operate the shift a few times. If there's no port, like a shimano, that's a good way to get oil in there. I had a shimano 3cc that worked great for many years after oiling it that way.

I use 50wt gear lube on freewheels. Clean them in gasoline to get the crud out, submerge in 50 wt and rotate them once in a while.
Should hang and cling well in a multi gear hub.

Almost the same. I use kerosene to clean and soak in 80w gear oil. I've still got a ton of it from my motorcycle racing days so I might as well use it

Good to know. For the Sachs, do you add it to the shifter chain hole? I couldn't find an access hole, and I'm hesitant to disassemble mine

Latest posts

Back