Off the Rails: 1969 Huffy Goblin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wore down another polishing wheel!

84DACDB8-ADA5-415F-A200-6E82CAC87DE3.jpeg

Currently doing some “pre” body work to ensure all my parts are going to work out. The rear fender is pretty bad. You may be able to see all the shiny high spots from my first round of etch primer. On to a second round then I’ll start the filler/build primer with sanding in between coats.

AF881EDE-B7E2-4155-B1C7-B257CE239AA6.jpeg

Been super busy, so I’m behind and at the end of my staycation that allowed me to catch up on my builds, but I’m still further behind than I like. But... I started mocking up the Goblin to ensure all the hardware is fitting.

5DB77B09-D0BA-4A20-9B4A-B1990838350D.jpeg

I don’t know about you, but I really... really... love the long stance lf

Been super busy, so I’m behind and at the end of my staycation that allowed me to catch up on my builds, but I’m still further behind than I like. But... I started mocking up the Goblin to ensure all the hardware is fitting.

View attachment 150907

I don’t know about you, but I really... really... love the long stance lf
Man, I don't know if I've ever really seen one of these bikes from the side quite like that. It really looks that much longer than your standard 20" bike! I agree, the long stance is killer! Longer, leaner, lower, faster! That's what those Huffy Rails convey to me, at least.

I thought I showed this earlier, but I’ve never seen this bracket on a fork before. When I got the bike, it also had an external bracket holding the fender with a big bolt going through that bracket. I thought the hole might be for a brake, but it’s not. Like I said, I’ve never seen the bracket before, so I’ve never seen it set up, so I’m just figuring it out.

273A620D-E176-40C8-BEB7-91A542EAC7F2.jpeg

I found screws in my stash that fit. I had to just chop them down to allow room through that hole, and because they didn’t look right being long. But when I tried to put a brake center bolt through it, it was obvious that it wasn’t for a brake.

So... I needed to introduce a brake mounting hole to the fork.

7C2B07DB-756B-4D0B-A884-9550D097AD74.jpeg

This should be the only modification I need to make to the bike. I just need to finish the mock up and ensure everything fits as it should.

Last edited:
Put on the tires and checked out the stance with the 48” sissy. I guess I’m used to Persons seat, but this Troxel seems to have the post mount farther back. That sits the seat farther forward and pulls the sissy forward. This sissy doesn’t currently have any rearward sweep, so I may have to correct that.

1B0495FC-FE0B-49E8-B18C-5BAEB10D9216.jpeg

I thought I showed this earlier, but I’ve never seen this bracket on a fork before. When I got the bike, it also had an external bracket holding the fender with a big bolt going through that bracket. I thought the hole might be for a brake, but it’s not. Like I said, I’ve never seen the bracket before, so I’ve never seen it set up, so I’m just figuring it out.

View attachment 150935

I found screws in my stash that fit. I had to just chop them down to allow room through that hole, and because they didn’t look right being long. But when I tried to put a brake center bolt through it, it was obvious that it wasn’t for a brake.

So... I needed to introduce a brake mounting hole to the fork.

View attachment 150936

This should be the only modification I need to make to the bike. I just need to finish the mock up and ensure everything fits as it should.

“I needed to ‘introduce’ a brake mounting hole to the fork” hahahahaha! Love this statement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked a friend about bending the sissy. Below is the response so everyone can learn.

“I use my Bench Vice ( It's 5inch wide ) I use a rubber Rad Hose on the ouret jaw so the bar does not get any marks but,
you can use just about anything. It's colored in black.

I also use a 1 1/4" round pipe ( you can use 2" ) and a wood block to lift it high enough to meet the jaw on the solid side.

I open the jaws just enough to put the sissy in place. Set it where you want to bend ( I would pick 2-3" above the seat hole.

With as much even pressure you can bend both bars at the same time, the same distance. If one should bend before the other
no worries, you can try that single bar and just bend it by itself to match the other. It does not take much effort.”
03D893BB-3515-4556-8561-B8ADD3BA68DC.jpeg

you could also make a metal bracket to make it be more laid back. - it's your bike, you decide, but it is a rare accessory

Latest posts

Back