Off on another tangent.... BSA custom long lean Path Racer "The Archduke" that turns into an Art Deco Roadster!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have spent some time working out the wooden mudguards (fenders!) for this roadster....
Mocked up the lengths with some CCM Flyte long fenders....
Then measured up and made a former out of plywood to laminate wooden guards over and also a former for the chain guard that will also be made from laminated wood and cut up a box of blocks to use under the clamps when laminating... The guards are not going to be flat, but made flat then machined with a curve inside and out.
P1070810.JPG
P1070827.JPG
P1070828.JPG
P1070825.JPG
P1070826.JPG
P1070829.JPG

Found one on ebay Germany but the seller does not take paypal! Asking them if they can... cash on pick up or Bank transfer only. I need a friend in Germany!
ad s-l1600.jpg

Bought an oak "sleeper" cheaply from a demolition place today for the wood for the fenders, chain guard and hand grips..... looked rough but came up ok... it will get sliced up into laminates tomorrow...
P1070834.JPG
P1070835.JPG
P1070837.JPG

And.... made the shape for the centre for the rod handlebars on the lathe..... milling machine will be next to put the holes throw the sides for the rods....
P1070851.JPG
P1070849.JPG
P1070850.JPG

Worked out the size I want for the handler bar "bars" 7.5mm seems to look right... I found in my steel rack what I think it better quality tool steel to use that all needs to be turned down to size and polished. I have decided I really don't want the bolt in the top of the stem.... so I am going to have to make a "clip" arrangement to hold the bars to the fork top.... something like the ones pictured but with a Art Deco spin.... I will have to machine the inside with a step so it is tight on the stem and the fork top..... off to the drawing board to design the thing!
cl unnamed.jpg
cl bsa-chater-lea-bicycle-head-clip-set_360_025b5ef908e0dc2ec307a5fdb3e866c6.jpg
cl CCHS6-Chater-Lea-tandem.jpg

Thinking about some of the smaller details now..... Like Art Deco funky looking BB and hub oilers.... I like the ones in the pictures below and want some!
I have the axle nut sussed now, winged ones are coming...
Thinking about a cool Art Deco
way to mount the 9 inch chrome air pump behind the seat tube.... plus maybe an emblem on the front of the fender... maybe something chrome and glass... geometric early Art Deco themes of sun rise etc....
I have a tail light coming pictured below.

Ideas for things to get or look for welcome!
oil.jpg
ref s-l500 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Laminating wooden parts underway!
First shot is the cut oak, cut to about 4mm on the bench saw and ready for the thinknesser.
Next shot it has been thicknessed down to get rid of most of the saw marks, bit of wood picked and stacked with the centre line marked for each fender. Cut to length but with about 4 inches of spare each end to bend around past the point the fender will end.
I cut the narrower stripes for the chain guard and thincknesses them thinner to get around the tighter curve.... then decided to steam them around to take out some of the stress in the wood. Now I don't have a steamer built so I used the towel and boiling water trick.... next shot is one "steamed" and held in place to dry... next shot is all four steamed one by one and then clamped up for the night.
Then how they look the next morning after being released...
P1070856.JPG
P1070862.JPG
P1070864.JPG
P1070866.JPG
P1070867.JPG

Next I clean up and get everything set for the laminating.... the last thing you need is to be trying to find something in the middle of the job!! First shot shows the former with packing tape to stop the resin/glue mix sticking.
Then I have everything on the table I will need.... what you can't see is the big pile of clamps on the floor...
Then I mixed up the epoxy resin and added a small amount of glue powder.... brushed it on all the mating surfaces, and clamped it up using my little wooden blocks with tape on them.... that was last night... later today I will take it out of the former and see how it looks and laminate a fender next!
P1070870.JPG
P1070874.JPG
P1070875.JPG
P1070876.JPG
P1070877.JPG

Adler chain wheel paid for and on it's way from Germany tomorrow! Very cool thing, will add another great detail to an geometric Art Deco explosion!
pebblewurm you cost me money!!! :)

ad 1.jpg
ad 2.jpg
ad 3.jpg
ad 4.jpg
ad 5.jpg
ad 6.jpg
ad s-l1600.jpg

OK ideas people..... let's design an Art Deco geometric kick stand.... thoughts???? Three small parallel rods rather than one solid one??? Three diverging rods?? Like my first crap 2am sketch? The feet are rubbish, but the shaft might work... "feet" or foot would be angled to sit flat on the ground and provide something to push down on to push the stand down....
si 11B95DEB-B8B4-4744-8BA6-238BBB4116A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you more concerned with how it looks while in the up position, or when deployed. Could be completely different design parameters depending on what you want. When up near the stays, you will need to see how all the angles match the frame angles.

Latest posts

Back