Off on another tangent.... BSA custom long lean Path Racer "The Archduke" that turns into an Art Deco Roadster!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking, if you want to attach the pump the standard way with two little hooks one at the top and one at the bottom of the seat tube you could have them mimic the wings on the chain ring you got by cutting triangles out of sheet and etching the wing lines in.

Then I was thinking, if you wanted to do it in a way that I have never seen, you could cut your shapes out two for the top, two for the bottom. Make each bracket by joining two triangles like a little tent and attaching the top bracket to the seat stays and the bottom to the chain stays.

Here's a real rough sketch of what I'm talking about. It may not work once you adjust for scale of your bike and pump, but maybe give some inspiration.

I went over the top of the sprocket rather than under it just to try and show how I thought it could be attached to the chain stays. Maybe I should have used the pic without the sprocket installed :/
1591797671913.png

Great guys, I have 8 hours of water blasting a fence coming up right now so now I have something to think about while blasting!!! :)

Finally some more progress.... Worked on the triangle pedals... cut the wood to shape to go together and carved out the inside to take the pedal shaft and bearings. Then made a jig to hold them for glueing and glued one up..... will do the other one tomorrow. I discovered I can pop the bearing end off the shaft so I can put the shaft through and push the bearing back on inside the wood... then it will be filled with glue and centralised.... I am thinking of holding the triangle gently in the three jaw chuck on the lathe and the pedal thread in the drill chuck in the tail stock while the glue goes off over night.... should get everything straight!
P1070973.JPG
P1070976.JPG
P1070977.JPG
P1070981.JPG
P1070982.JPG

I was thinking, if you want to attach the pump the standard way with two little hooks one at the top and one at the bottom of the seat tube you could have them mimic the wings on the chain ring you got by cutting triangles out of sheet and etching the wing lines in.

Then I was thinking, if you wanted to do it in a way that I have never seen, you could cut your shapes out two for the top, two for the bottom. Make each bracket by joining two triangles like a little tent and attaching the top bracket to the seat stays and the bottom to the chain stays.

Here's a real rough sketch of what I'm talking about. It may not work once you adjust for scale of your bike and pump, but maybe give some inspiration.

Your sketch helped as I realised that a 9 inch pump was not in scale with the bike so I have ordered a 12 inch pump..... which will mean that the mounts will be in the centres of the top and bottom "frame triangles"... I like symmetry in these things.... I also realised that I don't just have to have the pump directly behind the seat tube but a little further away could add to the space and feeling of size of the overall bike.. I might wrap the pump handle in the gold leather I have for the hand grips too... details details! :)

I have made some progress again, I have the pedal centres glued in the wooden pedals, worked out a way of holding the outside and inside parallel while the glue went off... see lathe photo.
Then after the glue went off I filled each end, to fill any voids... next after I clean up the ends is to get the little screws to hold the trims on and make the trims, have them chromed and attach them....
P1070988.JPG
P1070990.JPG

I was not happy with the fork to handle bar clamp I had made so I made a new smaller one tonight.... I am going to drill and tap a hole in the back of the bottom "layer" and put a grub screw in the hole and through a hole in the fork and the stem and over to tighten against the inside of the handlebar stem on the front side, to hold the bars on. I might need a thin lock nut between the bearing nut and the un-threaded collar still.
P1070993.JPG

My seat arrived from Portugal today! I love it. New old stock made in Portugal by Tabor seats. And I already have a can that might get covered in leather to make a toolbox...
P1080001.JPG
P1080002.JPG
P1080005.JPG
P1080003.JPG
P1080005.JPG
P1080004.JPG

And now I have the seat I can work on the handlebars so I cleared a space on the bench and did a mock up to see how it is going to work.... work in progress... the wires will be 6mm rods and the grips will be turned to shape yet and have leather binding...
P1080015.JPG
P1080016.JPG
P1080017.JPG
P1080018.JPG

The stacked headset is a beauty!
I am really looking forward to these bars!

My seat arrived from Portugal today! I love it. New old stock made in Portugal by Tabor seats. And I already have a can that might get covered in leather to make a toolbox...View attachment 127147View attachment 127148View attachment 127149View attachment 127150View attachment 127151View attachment 127152

FINALLY! A bike (other than a penny farthing) that style saddle looks good on!
Love this build, not because it’s my style of bike, but because of the attention to detail, ingenuity and effort you are putting into it.

Build on bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got back to the fenders a bit today... I had decided on a 5 sided profile and I had marked the laminated wood with the lines and cut the first outer angles last week, today I ground filed and sanded the other angles... first two shots are after angle grinding close to the lines... then filing by hand very close to the lines, then sanding the final bit off... and the outsides done. Ready to carve out the inside and make them fit the bike and make mounts and trims and fit the rear reflector etc etc etc
P1080021.JPG
P1080022.JPG
P1080020.JPG
P1080023.JPG
P1080025.JPG
P1080024.JPG

And I cut the high tensile steel rods roughly to length to get a better idea of the angles and such. Next will be turning up a "Plug" that will have some handlebar attached at one end and an angle cut at the other end for the rods to weld too.... I am still adjusting the lines and angles... I might try angling the rods up a little more as seen from the front....
P1080027.JPG
P1080028.JPG
P1080029.JPG

The Art Deco bike is coming up in the world, literally.... popped it up on a table with a brace to hold it vertical today so I can design and fit the details like fender mounts and side stand etc etc without having to grovel on the floor! I have an further mock up! Fenders mostly sitting in place, and a bunch of other things mocked up and taped in place. Handlebars are not going to be the ones used they are just there to work out the size and angles for the rod bars. Overall I am pretty happy with progress.... next will be to mount the fenders and make Art Deco fender stays, weld up the handlebars, make the rear reflector fit, make brass trims for the fenders centre line and have them chromed, make side stand, make the mount for the pump, finish the chain guard..... finish all the welding, make fake lugs, finish the hand grips, do the spary painting, have the chrome done!!!!.... so basically a Sh%@ load of work to do still! :)
P1080033.JPG
P1080038.JPG
p10800338107128638_270154374050634_7465030244540498370_n.jpg
P1080039.JPG

Great full fenders. How much do they weigh?

Great full fenders. How much do they weigh?
Not weighted them but I am surprised how light they feel, more so as I cut out the clearance for the tyres.

Spent most of the day tired and nodding off in my chair in the workshop whilst thinking about fender mounts.... I came up with the layout of four rods in the first pic. Second picture is the front wheel with the same three rods on the lower front fender and two supporting the upper fender. And then the design drawing for attaching the rods to the fender sides I ended up with after a few ideas came and went.... the bugger is I have to make 18 of them! I can do them like a production line on the lathe, doing each process to each of the 18 in turn.... might make 20 incase I .... a couple up! At the wheels I will make a disc that will go under the wheel nuts and come out and have the rods coming into it and have adjustment at that end. Means the fender will move with the wheel when the chain is adjusted, apart from the two mounts to the frame which will be made adjustable also.
P1080053.JPG
P1080046.JPG
P1080052.JPG

Was looking at the two reflectors I have and I think I like the long one best....
P1080057.JPG
P1080058.JPG
P1080060.JPG

Latest posts

Back