Off on another tangent.... BSA custom long lean Path Racer "The Archduke" that turns into an Art Deco Roadster!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These handlebars are awesome!
If you don't value the stem much you can just cut it to the needed length and use a shorter stem bolt (from a stem that has the right length but not the right looks).
20190830_150908.jpg

Top and bottom tubes are tacked on and the two middle tubes are just sitting there ready to tack.
C0E8080A-DBAE-4713-B0FB-B7911C6D1D74.jpeg

I am letting the Art Deco monster inside me loose! Made a design of three more tubes going between the sun burst tubes.... tried for about 3 hours to make curved ones work, curving forward and back but nothing could get all three to work together so I went to three straight tubes in line with the seat and head tubes.....
P1070776.JPG

Last edited:
Last thing tonight I started working on the design of the lug decorations for this machine.... I thought 50 bits for the other bike was a lot... I think this bike will beat that number by a good bunch..... here is my design inspiration first and my first ideas on a tube.... I am thinking of many more hours tomorrow fine tuning that design.
Each lug decoration will be made of 4 parts.... the big bit (or middle bit) will be thicker than the top and side bits to give it a three dimensional look. The side bits will almost,but not quite touch the lug decoration coming from the other side of the tube......
lug 19da366a06c378001e41f18403eeef3f.jpg
P1070778.JPG
P1070779.JPG
P1070780.JPG
P1070781.JPG

Jeez, I wasn't thinking about the lugs when I voted for extra tubes. I'm sorry.
The extra tubes parallel to seatpost look great though, glad I didn't suggest those. Making lugs for all those joints too?

Jeez, I wasn't thinking about the lugs when I voted for extra tubes. I'm sorry.
The extra tubes parallel to seatpost look great though, glad I didn't suggest those. Making lugs for all those joints too?
All or nothing man! It's not good enough to be "oh that's nice" it has to be "WOW that's amazing" even for people who don't know bikes... gotta aim high anyway. :)

Looking up funky Art Deco ideas for wheel nuts now.... I have the taps so I can make anything to fit....

These are also in my wheel house.... if I can find a set at a good price!
wing set7.JPG

I bought an interesting seat I will try on the bike.... has BS on the side but I have no idea where it was made.... I am having it send from Australia. Anyone know where and when it was made??
seat bs2.jpg
seat bs3s-l1600.jpg
seat bs1s-l1600.jpg

Turns out the seat was made by Bridgestone in Japan. After 1950....

Another mile stone reached.. the frame is fully solidly tacked together and off the bench!
P1070782.JPG
P1070784.JPG
P1070785.JPG
P1070787.JPG
P1070788.JPG
P1070789.JPG

I have had a busy day! Tacked the frame together, got the materials ready to cut up tomorrow for the 7 shaped seat post and I have done a wire mock up of my handlebars to see how they would work.... looking at around 8mm rod for the "wires" still working out how to do the middle bit where they join.... tube they go into from the sides? Triangle shaped "box", two tubes they pass though.... lots of Art Deco style geometic options...
P1070795.JPG
P1070794.JPG
P1070799.JPG
P1070796.JPG
P1070797.JPG

Last edited:
Made my 7 seat post today, bike looks a lot better with the seat 2 inches further forward...
I have an idea for the central part of the handlebars where the wires come into.... like a cake that gets smaller cakes put on top.... large at the back smaller at the front and each layer has a wire. I can turn up the stepped part from steel on the lathe.... I will do a scale drawing tonight and see how it looks.... maybe with steps on the end the faces the seat too, but very short steps.... Art Deco madness!!!

Drawing of an idea for the centre of the handlebars... the one on the left is thinner...
You are looking at a turned round thing.... I am going to make the bit that sticks back towards the seat smaller length wise.
P1070822.JPG

Latest posts

Back