Ode to the Bottom Bracket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each year I service my bottom brackets a couple of times with a full cleaning and a lube with good grease. Lately I noticed a rhythmic clunk, clunk (sometimes sporadic) from a used bottom bracket I installed in a rebuild project. I opened it up and one single loose ball bearing was out of the cage. Ordered a new bottom bracket set and all is well. My 2009 Schwinn developed a slight clunk around the same time. Inspection revealed three escaped balls! That Schwinn probably has between 3,000 to 4,000 miles on those original bearings as I have averaged 10 miles daily for about the last 3 years. So another bottom bracket set install and what a difference. FYI I used a cheap WALD set from Amazon. I think stuff like that slips up gradual and you don't notice it. Just wanted to pass on my little victory. Part of it came out of pandemic cloistering and a desire to do something productive. Both bikes spin so freely they feel like new with my flip flops on the pedals. :dance2:
41SnImFesJL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I can remember when I first started building and repairing bikes in my teens, we never used caged bearings. They were always loose bearings set in grease.
Does anyone still do this?
I can see where the increased surface area of more bearings would take more loading.

If I remember right, you put as many bearings as possible, less one.

This is what I usually did, in my early days. Heck, I remember missing like 3-4 balls, so I just stuffed in more grease, lol. This was usually for headsets though, I never really bothered with BBs as a kid.

I can remember when I first started building and repairing bikes in my teens, we never used caged bearings. They were always loose bearings set in grease.
Does anyone still do this?
I can see where the increased surface area of more bearings would take more loading.
Yup, I do.

If I remember right, you put as many bearings as possible, less one.
Affirmative. Minus one keeps them moving so they don't peen the bearing cups.

Latest posts

Back