OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)--FINISHED!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)--We Have Color!

We've started reassembly. We put together the headset, triple-tree and forks; seat, fender and reflectors. Not much, but with the garage at about 100 degrees, even after dark, we knocked off after that.

DSC02419 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSC02423 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Re: OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)--Starting Reassembly

Great work guys! :D

junknutz1975 said:

The Renaissance Man said:
Looking good!

Thanks, guys! :)

I should say, we were going for a hasty flap-down-a-stencil-and-spray look for the star. Kind of like I'd guess (not being a veteran) markings are applied in the field.

turning out real sweet keep it up!!!!!

Troy

noodlenoggin said:
junknutz1975 said:

The Renaissance Man said:
Looking good!

Thanks, guys! :)

I should say, we were going for a hasty flap-down-a-stencil-and-spray look for the star. Kind of like I'd guess (not being a veteran) markings are applied in the field.
yep the good old stencil and rattle can of paint had you marking it or remarking it fast and dirty. That was one thing I don't remember being done real neat and tidy.

noodlenoggin said:
I am blown away by the amount of interest and kudos from you guys about doing this with my son. I showed him all of your responses and he said "It's a bicycle," with his little half-grin. I didn't think this was a big deal, but all y'all are making me think that it is. Not bad for a total outlay of about $50, all told. :)

Remind him it's just a bicycle when he's pushing 40 and has a kid roughly his age that he won't let near that prized possesion with a 10' pole.

Or he starts using phrases like "Do you know how much work that bike took?" when some neighborhood kid begs to ride it.

Looking good.

shuasdad said:
Remind him it's just a bicycle when he's pushing 40 and has a kid roughly his age that he won't let near that prized possesion with a 10' pole.

Or he starts using phrases like "Do you know how much work that bike took?" when some neighborhood kid begs to ride it.

Looking good.

Thanks, and I can hope.

This evening was only in the 80's, so we put the chopper together. The only thing left to do is put some grips on it, and then we're done! We went for a ride around the neighborhood -- no real surprises as we didn't change any geometry or anything. The cans are kind close to my heels if I use the ball of my foot on the pedals.

I took some lousy pics in the semi-dark, I'll take better ones later.

DSC02432 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSC02434 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSC02433 by sunliner500, on Flickr

Re: OCC Army Stingray (Father/Son build)--We're Ridin'!

sweet

LukeTheJoker said:
Looks good, and He looks happy with it!

Luke.
jats said:
kim_dude said:
Those cans are just right scale for that bike.

Thanks! I like the low, stretched-out posture when I ride it. Makes me wish I had Uncle Stretch's skills, so I could make myself one that was my-sized, not kid-sized. 'Cuz I kinda look like a big dork when I ride it. :)

From the look on your sons face you are not going to have to worry about how you look riding it - I don't think he will be off of it long enough for you to get a go.

Most likely you will get a chance for another project building up a longer one to match his for your use.

Great job by both of you and congratulations for letting him keep at it and not turning it into
'the bikes perfect now - where did my kid go?'

What he learned building it he won't want to treat it bad and have to rebuild it for any reason other than 'Hey Dad, I rode it so much it needs upgrading'

The cans are great scale too.

Kroozerdave said:
From the look on your sons face you are not going to have to worry about how you look riding it - I don't think he will be off of it long enough for you to get a go.

Most likely you will get a chance for another project building up a longer one to match his for your use.

Great job by both of you and congratulations for letting him keep at it and not turning it into
'the bikes perfect now - where did my kid go?'

What he learned building it he won't want to treat it bad and have to rebuild it for any reason other than 'Hey Dad, I rode it so much it needs upgrading'

The cans are great scale too.

Thanks, Kroozerdave. It's certainly not perfect, but it IS his own paint-work, and lets him see how to do it better next time. Hey, that's almost like learning!

We'll probably go this weekend to get some grips, and then be done-done.

hey sent you a PM

Troy

That's one happy kid with a cool ride!
I love the way the forks turned out!!!

kingfish254 said:
That's one happy kid with a cool ride!
I love the way the forks turned out!!!

Thanks...you gave me the idea, you know. My biggest concern was finding something round to mask out the "holes." Those little stickers were a real pain in the (rhymes with "gas") to get off again, but they were worth it. We should have the last details finished tomorrow and take some better photos in the sun.

You are more than welcome for the idea, but that is part of the fun of the borg creative collective that is the BUILD OFF!!

Latest posts

Back