Now I'm Deaf

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, it may not be that bad, or that permanent, but tonight I got a real serious wakeup call while replacing a tire on my 1964 Schwinn "Rat Racer".

I had these cheap IRC (Indonesia Rubber Co.) tires on it, and always had problems with beads. Finally a rear blew partly off the rim and tore the bead. All I could find locally was a pair of S-6 gumwalls, so I bought those for a Breeze I'm restoring, and took an old original blackwall tire from one of the rims.

The tire was kind of hard, but seemed solid. Had some typical cracking and crumblies around the bead but nothing unusual. A new Bell tube (yeah they're cheap...) and it mounted up fine. Filled it up, checked the fit on the rim, and put it up to about 50 psi with my compressor.

One more bump of the air hose trigger and BOOM!

tireblow090212.jpg

Sidewall of the tread blew out about a foot from my face. I only heard half the pop. The shredded ends of the tube were hanging out of the tire along with a flap and broken, rusty bead wires.

I felt like I was underwater, or had earmuffs on, or if you were to just put your hands over your ears. All high frequencies gone except for ringing. Some low and medium-low frequencies like speech and engine noises are very amplified. The shockwave from the blowout really stunned me. My wife came running out when she heard the sound, inside with the windows closed. I could barely hear her calling me.

Now, I wear hearing protection at work, and the effect is nothing like what I experienced from this. The amplification thing is confusing and worrisome. It's been about 7 hours now, and most of it has returned to normal, or close to it. I may have gotten very lucky here to be able to hear ANYTHING now. I cannot imagine being close to something truly loud like a bomb blast, a military shell, a grenade, or anything like that.

I hope that nothing permanent comes of this. I've started having a little high-frequency loss in my right ear, picked up by hearing tests at work. I think this will hasten that demise unfortunately.

Moral of the story is to always be careful, and perhaps to not be cheap to the point that you put yourself at risk. Though I will say, what I was doing was nothing different than what I've done dozens of times. This time, with a bad tire and hidden fatigue or rust , I paid a price that's a lot more than a $12 tire.

--Rob

Awesome !!! (As long as your Okay of course)

There's a gas station half a block away from my house. People take their bikes there all the time to air them up too. I was talking to my neighbor one day out in the front yard and this lady was carrying a loose wheel back from airing it up, next thing you know it sounded like someone fired off a shotgun over my shoulder ... me and the neighbor jumped. The lady screamed, threw the wheel on the ground and ran away :lol:

Hope it comes back to you, I was nowhere that close and had to check my britches :shock:

I was riding my bike when I was a kid when one of the older neighborhood bullies came riding up beside me. I thought I was in trouble when about that time his front tire blew out violently enough that it filpped him right off his bike and he landed on his butt in the road. :p

On a more serious note, folks have been killed airing up car, truck, and tractor tires when they exploded. Never heard of a bike tire killing anyone though. Be careful none the less. Gary

If your ears start ringing constantly you now have tinnitus like me. Mine was from gunfire from being in the artillery and shooting a .44 Magnum pistol once with no ear protection. Be careful. I wear hearing aids in both ears to help hear high-pitched sounds and such especially if there is back up noise. There is no cure.

A friend of mine years ago owned a gas station and a kid came in crying and said, "Mister, I put too much air in my tire and it blew up." My friend was sitting there with the mechanics said, "Well just take some air back out of it." The mechanics got a kick out of that.

Well good news is, after 24 hours now, I seem to be about back to normal. I had already some level of tinnitus (ringing) and it's gotten worse over the 11 years I've worked in the paper mill, in spite of wearing hearing protection pretty much religiously there.

I also wear ear plugs when I go to any kind of concert or show that is likely to be loud. I do not care one bit if I look like a dork. I wore them at a demo derby today too! (Won by a Buick Century that had absolutely no trunk left!)

I am probably at 95% of the hearing I had before the blowout. I also mounted 3 of these same type of tires today without any incidents. I tell you, I was nervous. I didn't think the event would affect me as much, but it did and I was skittish airing up the new tires. All went well and nothing exploded. I am thinking I will get a clip-on hose end though so I can be far away from that in the future.

Again, use proper tools and protective gear for whatever task you're doing. The potential damage to yourself is not worth it.

--Rob

I hate it when you're pumping up a tire and you're just about to the maximum inflation amount and you see the tire not seated and the inner tube bulging out between the rim and tire. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Talk about panic mode. :lol:

Glad to hear your hearing is coming back (no pun intended). Had that happen a couple weeks ago.
What Ratorod said just happened earlier today. The tube wasn't bulging out but I could see tire wasn't seated and I was going for the high side of the pressure range. I panicked. I wanted to drop the wheel and run but I quickly fumbled around to find something to let air out.

What's funny is when this happens and there's someone else in the garage that doesn't know what's going on.

One minute you're casually pumping up a tire and the next your yelling out obscenities and scrambling for a philips head screwdriver to release the pressure.

Its kind of like watching someone walk into a spider web. :lol:

I had a slow leak in the rear tube on my tall bike. Changing a tire on it isn't a big deal but getting the chain tight enough afterwards is more difficult, so I kept adding air every week or so. Well, a couple of months ago that slow leak turned into an extremely fast leak. All of the air exited in about 1/16 of a second, right next to my head. I had ringing and muffled sounds in the right ear for about an hour, so I was extremely lucky.

I did the exact same thing a couple years ago. Except a brand new tire didn't seat like I thought it had. Tube blew up 6 inches or less from my ear. Hearing came back in less than 24 hours though. I never put full pressure in anymore till everything is triple checked.

+1 inaheap. Right ear rang for awhile but is alright. scared the "stuff" out of me! :shock: :oops:

the Specialized 700c x 38 tires are very loose on the wheels of our hybrids until you get the tube partially aired up and the bead seated all the way around. I was fumbling around with the air hose and didn't notice the tube bulging out.

That's exactly when I stopped using my air compressor, and use only the hand pump/gauge now for bike tires. :D

Latest posts

Back