now I gotta build a bike... (24" Speedster)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
so I have always loved Schwinn camelback frames. Lately I've been on a strandie/BMX cruiser kick, where I built two 26" Speedsters into bombers:

20210114_144716.jpg
20200823_193702.jpg

The yellow bike is running castoff wheels from a cheap MTB; for the the black one, I spent a couple hundred bucks on a "real" BMX cruiser wheelset and some other odds and ends from Planet BMX. I have had it in my head for a while to build a 24" BMX cruiser version of one of these, and today at the bike swap in Westminster, MD I stumbled on a starting point:

20210214_130316.jpg

The seller saw me looking and said he'd take 25 before I even opened my mouth. Couldn't argue with that. Now comes the tough part: finding a 24" Speedster frame...

1977_schwinn_speedster_breeze_24.jpg

1969_schwinn_speedster_typhoon.jpg

If you would also consider a non-Schwinn camelback, keep your eyes open for a Ross Compact. They were manufactured as 3-speeds (Shimano hub) and as 10-speeds.

rossbike1.jpg

I have wanted one of these for quite a while now. I've never even seen one in real life though.
Screenshot_20210214-190851_Chrome.jpg

If you would also consider a non-Schwinn camelback, keep your eyes open for a Ross Compact. They were manufactured as 3-speeds (Shimano hub) and as 10-speeds.

View attachment 151244
I actually have a 26" Ross Compact 10-speed. I like Ross bikes a lot. If I ever came across a 24" Compact, I'd go the BMX cruiser route with it.
20190623_115854.jpg

I have wanted one of these for quite a while now. I've never even seen one in real life though.
View attachment 151245

Oooooh, is that a Varsity? Yeah, I have seen camelback Collegiates with 26" wheels and drop bars; I even bought one last year. But I have only ever seen a camelback Varsity with 27" wheels in pictures...

Let me know if you want to double your money on those! Ya know cuz ya don’t have a frame right now, and they will go flat if you leave em sitting.
Even if they don't go flat, the air could get stale. Send em up to me in Canada. So cold in my shop, they're guaranteed to stay fresh.
And yeah, a Camelback is on my wish list too. 40s CCM for Matti, please!
6862440810_5492d86017_b.jpg

I actually have a 26" Ross Compact 10-speed. I like Ross bikes a lot. If I ever came across a 24" Compact, I'd go the BMX cruiser route with it.
View attachment 151246

Oooooh, is that a Varsity? Yeah, I have seen camelback Collegiates with 26" wheels and drop bars; I even bought one last year. But I have only ever seen a camelback Varsity with 27" wheels in pictures...
I'm pretty sure the Schwinn ones had 26" wheels. The frame looks even smaller than my yellow bike which has 27" wheels and the yellow bike looks really disproportionate.
20210121_192936.jpg

There are 27" Schwinn Camelback Varsitys. I've seen one in the wild, and there is someone else on the site that has one... @RustySprockets perhaps? I have a thread somewhere trying to find measurement differences between 26" and 27" versions that the person responded to.

I have 26", 24", and 20"... haven't found a 27" for sale yet.

I had a camelback Hercules, a 69, red with a 3 speed stick shift. All steel. It might be in Cuba from 91, when I had to go home on emergency leave while we were docked supporting the Haitian refugee ops. It wasn't on the ship when they returned back home a month later. My shipmates probably chucked it overboard because I wasn't there. It was dog eat dog on that ship. That was worst duty station of all the time I was in the military. But it was a great bike. Like this only stripped down.
1614473934118.png

There are 27" Schwinn Camelback Varsitys. I've seen one in the wild, and there is someone else on the site that has one... @RustySprockets perhaps? I have a thread somewhere trying to find measurement differences between 26" and 27" versions that the person responded to.

I have 26", 24", and 20"... haven't found a 27" for sale yet.
I found one of the 27” varsity camel backs on Craigslist a couple of years ago. I removed the front sprocket and replaced it with a mid 70’s mag sprocket. If you still need measurements I could take some and compare them to my 26” camelback.

Even if they don't go flat, the air could get stale. Send em up to me in Canada. So cold in my shop, they're guaranteed to stay fresh.
And yeah, a Camelback is on my wish list too. 40s CCM for Matti, please!
View attachment 151255
You still looking for one I can help you out

Latest posts

Back