Nothing Special, CWC Hiawatha

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be able to find a rear cog that matches the ring width. It'd be worth keeping an eye out for. If I find one I'll let ya know. I'd like to use my 3Arrows ring too, but for now I'm running a mag sprocket...

Carl.

The cog on the bendix is a fairly specific part, not sure they ever made a 3/32" version, unfortunately it cant be swapped out for another cog easily like on a traditional coaster. I have run 1/8" chains on 3/32" freewheels before without much issue, maybe chains wear out quicker rolling on one side of the roller? Anyways, hoping I wont have any problems, I really like that chainring!

keep the rubber side down!

While I should be saving and allocating funds for this build, I happened upon a deal I couldnt pass up. When something like this comes along you jump on it. A friend is at Velofest in PA and found me a tank for my '56 Columbia, the price couldnt be beat, so I jumped on it... color isnt right, no horn, but who cares! I have until August to finish the CwC anyways...

283e55a5aef9a3ca490004969ce0e007.jpg
3c6b369c3f86ef9fb762b6d850c1b584.jpg

Okay, finally found time to get some stuff done on the Hiawatha. Giving it a bath in oven cleaner today and working on paint removal. It seems to have worked well, softening the paint and allowing me to get to bare metal, might have it all stripped by this afternoon, but you know how that goes...
4f2aebd36a4cf719d5d346aea794a48d.jpg
0bda1c50372abdaae7e241a801e5438f.jpg
56f775edd268de9cb1f50caf32769d61.jpg

Apparently I am a glutton for punishment... bought an E250 to convert into a camper van, when I should be wrenching on my bike... promise I will get back to building soon.
ae636025a2a8bac762d9ad7f9012bdd8.jpg

Dig this, been thinking about a bread truck myself.
You should do a build thread in the other talk forum.

Have not had much time to wrench on the ride, but came across a set of rims! A friend donated a pickup bed trailer full of wheels to our business, passed most along to the community shop I work at but saved these Sun Metal Products 36h steel rims that I guess were manufactured in 03/93? Should clean up well once I de-lace them, surface rust does not look bad and most should disappear with light cleaning. Also helps keep the costs down for the build and allows for more funds to be allocated towards other things, got some ideas floating around in my head for the wheels to go along with the planned brass hardware [emoji57]
ce94e6152f1a7930d82800eee934153a.jpg
6da55714c00c751ab7d5f1a4ce3ec6e5.jpg

Also tires, planning on a set of the Sunlite Revolutions 26x2.5 if I can stuff them in there. Shout out to @OddJob for the lead on ordering the 2.5 Sunlites through JBI, had no idea they were making these!
422df7c75baf8b8f10bdbc0690dc4dcb.jpg

Very nice where do I order from ?

I am snagging them from my local distributor J&B Importers, who sell to almost all local bicycle shops in the country. Also have seen them on amazon I believe, but the price per tire is the same as a local shop would sell them for, retail is on average 19.99 per tire. Again they are the Sunlite Revolutions 26x2.5 tire, can probably get a part # from JBI if you need one to bring to your local bike shop, all warehouses around the country seem to have a decent supply at the moment.

Also tires, planning on a set of the Sunlite Revolutions 26x2.5 if I can stuff them in there. Shout out to @OddJob for the lead on ordering the 2.5 Sunlites through JBI, had no idea they were making these!
422df7c75baf8b8f10bdbc0690dc4dcb.jpg

I have garnered plenty of parts including 'naner (Polo) saddles, BB conversions, wheels, stems, bars, sissy bars, grips, pedals, etc from http://www.jbi.bike/site/ over the years.

Nearly every LBS in the country orders from or can order from their 12 warehouses throughout the country. Good pricing, and this user friendly site shows you what parts are in stock where. You can submit the part #'s you are interested in, and the LBS can give you a price immediately.

Glad you like 'em squirrel!

Got the rims de-laced and cleaned up. Time to calculate spoke lengths and see if I have the correct ones in stock at home. Hope that is the case. Planning on 3x on the rear, maybe 1x or Radial up front? I like the looks of crossed spokes, and have never done 1x before. Will see what lengths work for each and go from there as far as whats in my home stash.

421f81a8d7b3544cc996238461ff110f.jpg

Last edited:
Got my wheels laced up so I can get some measurements for the pieces I need to get them customized the way I want. Tossed them onto the frame to see where I am with it all and visualize the final build. Still need to figure out a stem, bar, and saddle. Then pedals and grips. And more custom touches... but first more paint removal...
73b20054f736ee00a3515f39fcfb394b.jpg

Latest posts

Back