Not much original here a real mish mash but what about the frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi a true newby here I've been biking all my life but now I have time to play around with building bikes.
I picked this up in mid missouri today. Mostly interested in the frame. Serial numbers are stamped on rear drop outs. E293467
Other clues hand grips say western flyer any Ideas? Also have you seen a fork like this? Are the wheels junk? GREAT FORUM Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    579.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    571.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 121
I’ll not toss the tires. I’m surprised to learn that the English hubs on this bike could be stock in the 50’s I would have assumed they were using all USA made stuff back then. This has a perry b100 rear and the front is marked Ross?? Thanks for the heads up on the tire I would have assumed it was junk. Could that be original ? Surprised if it is.

I can't really see the other identifiers in your photos but that is okay. the rear drop outs the entire shape, is kinda helpful. it could be a ross with rollfast bb but pretty sure it is one of the bikes sold badged hawthorne. It looks like a Rockaway Beach Ny frame to me though I can barely see the rear drop. The badge shadow is whatever. If you look just left of the american flyer badge there is a rectangle that says Starjet.
11206121_947507985314422_4374650902973560155_n.jpg

Last edited:
I can't really see the other identifiers in your photos but that is okay. the rear drop outs the entire shape, is kinda helpful. it could be a ross with rollfast bb but pretty sure it is one of the bikes sold badged hawthorne. It looks like a Rockaway Beach Ny frame to me though I can barely see the rear drop. The badge shadow is whatever. If you look just left of the american flyer badge there is a rectangle that says Starjet. View attachment 137797
very cool pic of the head badges are these all yours? No se on other dropout but it looks like there may be some very light markings on the underside of BB but m,ay just be scratches I am assuming that red fork is off an industial bike or BMX ?? Are old surface rusted rims worth doing any thing with. I want to ride this but I'm a big guy 6'3' 290# am I asking for trouble. The coaster breaks seem to work fine. Thanks for your intest and knowlede Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1005.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 95
it's a Ross Rockaway Beach New York. I can see the thing the back wheel attaches to now. That is called a dropout. The thing with the pedals is original to a rollfast but like I said those guys all shared parts. . Perry is a common to Rollfast and Rockaway beach NY hub. When you are looking up images to compare it to search for Starjets and jet flights and stuff like like that. The cool kids In upstate N.Y. had a schwinn or a Ross when my wifes mother was a kid
1400w.jpg

Last edited:
Hi so roll fast is a frame builder or bike co?
Here are a couple more piks if rear drop out thanks Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 99
one of mine, this one is original to the screws and about the same vintage. this one googles as a Ross superdeluxe or a star jet. i am a lot more helpfull in person since i have to wear two different kinds of glasses now
11041669_921310907934130_8562904933114035211_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi so roll fast is a frame builder or bike co?
Here are a couple more piks if rear drop out thanks Chris
sorry about that i transpose entire sentences when i type. It was made by Ross in Rockaway beach NY. i went back and edited that twice i think my reply reads right now

yeah i am thinking late 50's early 60's. The little blue jewel here is a 62 or something. Those key words Ross Super deluxe, Rockaway Beach, should help find it in image searches. I like the Zazz Von Scwinn database on flicker, I can't remember if it has Ross catalogues in it but shadow 51 on ebay has sold several of them ( I mean like probably a hundred) so there should be good pictures out there so you can kinda figure out what it looked like new

okay hang on bro. It is a Rollfast. That is a snyder dropout, The pedals and chainwheel are original. probably after 1952. For those search for Hawthornes. I told you I need glasses right
IMG_1028.JPG

these two parts are things you only see from them
IMG_1004.JPG

Hey thanks for the update. So the things I don't know which is a lot at this point. I'm mostly interested in making the bike ridable safely. Does that mean new hubs and wheels ,crank? what do I do with the original parts? If I can keep some of those parts on the bike are the wheels relaceable as they are pretty rusted and somewhat out of true now. Should I be posting on a different part of the forum for this info Thanks Chris

You can really do whatever you want with something like that. There are some bicycles where the value "complete and original" make it kind of crazy to change things. Some of us update those anyway and stash the original parts away in case we decide to sell them someday. Make that one whatever you want. No one is going to fault you for it

Hey I get what you are saying! I was looking at the contest builds last night... really cool stuff. I’ve always been passionate about bikes so it is great find such a great forum of people with that same passion . Thanks again for your help Chris

Latest posts

Back