Not a "How To" but an exercise in problem solving

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this 20 in. Hummer H2O is left on my doorstep. I call around and cannot determine where it came from. I checked for "stolen bike" listings on Craigs, and actually called my local PD to see if they had a report. No dice, so after leaving it visible on my front walk a couple days, decided it was a given drop off and started about fixing it up for a flip.

Front brakes here are the story. Not a problem, right. Typical V brakes. Noticed one of the front pads was missing. No Problem, found a couple of pads in my parts bin. Installed the missing pad, and for the life of me, could not get things adjusted.

Finally noticed that the front wheel had slight side play and thought the bearing cones were loose. No Problem. Set about to remove the front wheel, and found one of the axle nuts was way too loose. lined up the wheel and tightened the nuts up.

Still had problems adjusting the front brakes. What the he**. Futzed around with all the adjustments. One moment - too tight, the next too loose.

Finally, I noticed that the brake arm that had the missing pad was super loose on the fork. It would move side to side on its pivot like it should, but it also moved front to back when the brake was applied. Not very apparent. Tightened the brake arm up, and adjusted the brakes.

Some kid - previous owner, I guess - took things apart and did not bother to put them back together right. At least the front wheel did not fall off. There was no blood on the handlebars! Ha!

Lesson learned. Check everything over, then adjust .....

I never have liked V brakes. I like the old calliper style. Got them in my junk parts stash.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back