Noob lookin' to build a klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fork appears to be bent. Strip the paint and inspect the frame for damage. If it's clear of anything that's not superficial or is potentially structurally compromising, I'd say you did alright.

I've inspected it in its current condition and found no cracks or damage and, after installing a new fork and wheelset, ridden it some with no issues. I was planning to disassemble, scuff and paint.
Do you think it necessary to strip frame to bare?

I found it on craigslist with an expanded search, I won't admit how far I drove to get it, you'd think I am an idiot!

Found this one the following week for $40, and within a few miles of my weekend place.
I feel like I've caught this bug pretty hard and I would *probably* drive up to 2 hrs away for the right find. :)

I've inspected it in its current condition and found no cracks or damage and, after installing a new fork and wheelset, ridden it some with no issues. I was planning to disassemble, scuff and paint.
Do you think it necessary to strip frame to bare?
It does not appear to be original paint and if it's not, I would. If it's original paint, you should be able to see any dangerous frame issues. If it's going to be a looker and not a rider, you may want to skip stripping the frame bare. A friend of mine has been riding old cruiser frames in the dirt Klunker style for quite a few years and strips paint that is not original to inspect the frames he has ridden.

Since we've gotten into a history track, let's not forget what the chaps across the pond were doing:
https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a28786346/rough-stuff-fellowship-cycling-club/
When it comes to "mountain biking" though, that is directly traceable to Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly. They started their Mountain Bike company selling frames made by Tom Ritchey. They failed to secure the copyright, companies copied what they were doing (looking at you, Specialized!) and the product became a mountain bike, no capitals.

You're getting warm!
Good luck in your search
I've drove much farther, while paying far more, for much less :grin:. That is the cost of living in a more rural state on the West Coast...those kind of bikes aren't common here, they are few and far between...so you have to be willing to drive far to get the few!

I was told to find a prewar Schwinn but that seems like it's going to be a waiting game. Others have said Columbia or Colson are good choices. I actually purchased a brand new Worksman INB from their site two days ago. I had them skip the paint job, we'll see if that was a mistake. I figured I should have something to actually ride while I'm trying to find an old classic to build up.
Not all the OG Klunkers were based on pre-war bikes...Bob Burrowes had '59-'62 twin straightbar and almost always finished near the top of the standings :thumbsup:.

getphoto.jpg

Awesome I love klunkers and klunking. It is fairly uncommon in my country.

To give you some perspective/ideas: I bought a cheap 26" cruiser and added some 24inch BMX rims, a Sturmey Archer S1C hub and BMX handlebars. Then you are almost good to go!
VJG5xIc.jpg

Zk5GWfV.jpg

A good website for info on parts/klunkers which I found: search for: Coaster brake challenge. I think the website is called atomic cycles. They have some tips about what kind of coaster hub is good or bad.

I was told to find a prewar Schwinn but that seems like it's going to be a waiting game. Others have said Columbia or Colson are good choices. I actually purchased a brand new Worksman INB from their site two days ago. I had them skip the paint job, we'll see if that was a mistake. I figured I should have something to actually ride while I'm trying to find an old classic to build up.

Did they give a discount price for no paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To give you some perspective/ideas: I bought a cheap 26" cruiser and added some 24inch BMX rims, a Sturmey Archer S1C hub and BMX handlebars. Then you are almost good to go!
VJG5xIc.jpg

Zk5GWfV.jpg

A good website for info on parts/klunkers which I found: search for: Coaster brake challenge. I think the website is called atomic cycles. They have some tips about what kind of coaster hub is good or bad.
Thanks, I'll look at that site. Nice lookin' bike!

I think the website is called atomic cycles. They have some tips about what kind of coaster hub is good or bad.
Funny that you should mention Atomic Cycles...
@rev106 do you have anything to say about the fine folk at Atomic?;) Or klunking in general?
In case he doesn't chime in, Paul (Rev) is a member, puts on really cool events, seems like the real deal. Here's something to read while you wait.
https://theradavist.com/2020/01/paul-de-valera-does-it-all-at-atomic-cycles/

Last edited:

VJG5xIc.jpg

Zk5GWfV.jpg

Why 24” rims vs 26? So you can run a bigger wheel? I’m collecting parts for my first build so am looking for info on rim and wheel size combo

Why 24” rims vs 26? So you can run a bigger wheel? I’m collecting parts for my first build so am looking for info on rim and wheel size combo

Look at the size of the rubber he was able to fit in there! Traction wise, awesome. Extra air volume also gives you a bit of "suspension".
But maybe most important, looks! That thing looks super cool!

So I could put them big juicy 3 inch tires on :thumbsup:
The wheels diameter is almost equal to a 26inch mountainbike with 1.95 tires.

Sweet! Thanks for that reply.
When reading that story I was calculating the rent, because I have to live in this shop.
But seriously, I really enjoy these nuts (nuts in a good way)!

Now I have to build/mill two coaster brake hubs and send one to Paul ;)

A little while ago I wanted to participate in the coaster brake challenge, but I can't afford the trip etcetera.

A little while ago I wanted to participate in the coaster brake challenge, but I can't afford the trip etcetera.
I'm trying to get a vacation to sync up with one of the weekends...haven't made it happen, yet. Did drop by his shop a while back and BS'd for a while...cool dude.

Funny that you should mention Atomic Cycles...
@rev106 do you have anything to say about the fine folk at Atomic?;) Or klunking in general?
In case he doesn't chime in, Paul (Rev) is a member, puts on really cool events, seems like the real deal. Here's something to read while you wait.
https://theradavist.com/2020/01/paul-de-valera-does-it-all-at-atomic-cycles/

What am I supposed to say? Any old frame will do. Chasing "era' will cost a lot and take forever. I have a 52 Schwinn as my main Klunker, so I don't see why you need a pre-war frame. The goal is to have fun.

Latest posts

Back