Noob lookin' to build a klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Glad to be here, hope everyone is staying safe and sane during this interesting time. It looks like I'll be working from home for the majority of the time going forward, and driving much less. I thought this would be a great opportunity to get back out on the road/trails. I have a few friends with awsome MTB klunkers and I thought now would be a great time for me to get building.

Thanks!! :)

Welcome to RRB!

I am becoming more and more of the opinion that the klunker is the ultimate all around bike...looking forward to your build :thumbsup:!

Jason
That's what I'm looking for, something to ride around the neighborhood and take on the trails around my area... nothing to crazy.

What frame are you going with? A good modern option that is made in US is a Worksman INB or M2600 model if you are taller. I think there's a IMB for sale over in classifieds. Member ind-chuckz also might have one.

What frame are you going with? A good modern option that is made in US is a Worksman INB or M2600 model if you are taller. I think there's a IMB for sale over in classifieds. Member ind-chuckz also might have one.
I was told to find a prewar Schwinn but that seems like it's going to be a waiting game. Others have said Columbia or Colson are good choices. I actually purchased a brand new Worksman INB from their site two days ago. I had them skip the paint job, we'll see if that was a mistake. I figured I should have something to actually ride while I'm trying to find an old classic to build up.

I was told to find a prewar Schwinn but that seems like it's going to be a waiting game. Others have said Columbia or Colson are good choices. I actually purchased a brand new Worksman INB from their site two days ago. I had them skip the paint job, we'll see if that was a mistake. I figured I should have something to actually ride while I'm trying to find an old classic to build up.
Well it's one thing to go full authentic klunker and another to build one that is a replica and a good rider. The prewar frames were the originals but they are hard to find and expensive if the seller knows what they have. If I were you I'd build one with authentic parts off the INB frame and move the parts when you find a more authentic frame. BTW the definition of authentic parts is solely defined by the parts that were available during the 70s when the originals were being cobbled together. In other words to be authentic to the era the parts used have to be older then around 1979.

Last edited:
From the web on the evolution of mountain bikes:
1970s–1980s
There were several groups of riders in different areas of the U.S.A. who can make valid claims to playing a part in the birth of the sport. Riders in Crested Butte, Colorado, and Cupertino, California, tinkered with bikes and adapted them to the rigors of off-road riding. Modified heavy cruiser bicycles, old 1930s and '40s Schwinn bicycles retrofitted with better brakes and fat tires, were used for freewheeling down mountain trails in Marin County, California, in the mid-to-late 1970s. At the time, there were no mountain bikes. The earliest ancestors of modern mountain bikes were based around frames from cruiser bicycles such as those made by Schwinn. The Schwinn Excelsior was the frame of choice due to its geometry. Riders used balloon-tired cruisers and modified them with gears and motocross or BMX-style handlebars, creating "klunkers". The term would also be used as a verb since the term "mountain biking" was not yet in use. Riders would race down mountain fireroads, causing the hub brake to burn the grease inside, requiring the riders to repack the bearings. These were called "Repack Races" and triggered the first innovations in mountain bike technology as well as the initial interest of the public (on Mt. Tamalpais in Marin CA, there is still a trail titled "Repack"—in reference to these early competitions). The sport originated in California on Marin County's Mount Tamalpais.[7]

Last edited:
I think no paint on the INB frame is a great idea. Not too often that you can buy a brand new brazed frame that's made in North America, especially at the price Worksman asks. It'd look great naked, just oil the frame or go with clear coat for some protection.
And don't worry if your klunker uses more modern parts, they don't all have to be museum pieces. Ideally, I'd have Tom Ritchey hand make a frame for me or something, but this is reality, and that ain't gonna happen. Maybe a "retro-mod" or tribute klunker. It's what I'm planning, klunker vibes, but with whichever era of mountain bike parts I feel like using. It worked out pretty well for Gary Fisher back in the ninties, and you gotta look pretty hard to find a bigger klunker expert than the guy who helped invent them.
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
I think no paint on the INB frame is a great idea. Not too often that you can buy a brand new brazed frame that's made in North America, especially at the price Worksman asks. It'd look great naked, just oil the frame or go with clear coat for some protection.
And don't worry if your klunker uses more modern parts, they don't all have to be museum pieces. Ideally, I'd have Tom Ritchey hand make a frame for me or something, but this is reality, and that ain't gonna happen. Maybe a "retro-mod" or tribute klunker. It's what I'm planning, klunker vibes, but with whichever era of mountain bike parts I feel like using. It worked out pretty well for Gary Fisher back in the ninties, and you gotta look pretty hard to find a bigger klunker expert than the guy who helped invent them.
View attachment 119409
I was super stoked that Worksman agreed to sell me an unpainted frame. Thanks for the advise on the oil/clearcoat. I really don't have any expectations when it comes to what the 'final product' will be, and from what I gather it will change often. That's a slick lookin' bike!! I think my first addition will be a used leather saddle, I love that look (hopefully my @55 doesn't disagree.)

I just purchased this 1937 CWC for $50,
I'm a noob also so I don't know if this is commonplace or I was lucky.

Attachments

• Resized_20200417_190008(1).jpg
    Resized_20200417_190008(1).jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 119
From the web on the evolution of mountain bikes:
1970s–1980s
There were several groups of riders in different areas of the U.S.A. who can make valid claims to playing a part in the birth of the sport. Riders in Crested Butte, Colorado, and Cupertino, California, tinkered with bikes and adapted them to the rigors of off-road riding. Modified heavy cruiser bicycles, old 1930s and '40s Schwinn bicycles retrofitted with better brakes and fat tires, were used for freewheeling down mountain trails in Marin County, California, in the mid-to-late 1970s. At the time, there were no mountain bikes. The earliest ancestors of modern mountain bikes were based around frames from cruiser bicycles such as those made by Schwinn. The Schwinn Excelsior was the frame of choice due to its geometry. Riders used balloon-tired cruisers and modified them with gears and motocross or BMX-style handlebars, creating "klunkers". The term would also be used as a verb since the term "mountain biking" was not yet in use. Riders would race down mountain fireroads, causing the hub brake to burn the grease inside, requiring the riders to repack the bearings. These were called "Repack Races" and triggered the first innovations in mountain bike technology as well as the initial interest of the public (on Mt. Tamalpais in Marin CA, there is still a trail titled "Repack"—in reference to these early competitions). The sport originated in California on Marin County's Mount Tamalpais.[7]
There was a group of riders frequenting Mt. Wilson and the San Gabriels in the early to mid-70's. The LA Times covered them in an article around that time.

"In the late ’70s, there were people out riding it and exploring, using hiking maps to navigate since there were no mountain bike maps. Mountain bikers were a rarity and a curiosity. If we go back to the turn of the 20th century, trails like the Mount Wilson Toll Road were being ridden by the bikes of the time. Biking in the San Gabriel Mountains goes back more than 100 years, but only in the 1980s did it really take off as mountain biking developed." Steve Messer of CORBA

The fork appears to be bent. Strip the paint and inspect the frame for damage. If it's clear of anything that's not superficial or is potentially structurally compromising, I'd say you did alright.

That seems like a good deal. Was it online or local? I would ideally like to find something that has not been repainted, but I know that will add to the price and availability.

That seems like a good deal. Was it online or local? I would ideally like to find something that has not been repainted, but I know that will add to the price and availability.

I found it on craigslist with an expanded search, I won't admit how far I drove to get it, you'd think I am an idiot!

Found this one the following week for $40, and within a few miles of my weekend place.

Attachments

• 20200427_152800.jpg
    20200427_152800.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 139

Latest posts

Back