noneedforaname

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lurking around here for a while, slowly gathering ideas.
Found a 20x 4.25 wheel and decided to build something around it. Not being a fan of curves, I went for straight hard lines, mainly to emphasize the large rear wheel.
So far, this is what I've got...
05082012244.jpg

05082012245.jpg

05082012243.jpg

Thinking of a 24" front, tidy up the forks (maybe longer, and tube size to match the modified forks (roughly done as a trial))
Not 100% sure on seat location as yet, or style - off to the bike shop tomorrow to see wht they've got that I like the look of that'll flow with the lines.
Opinions?
Suggestions?

peril 787b said:
Been lurking around here for a while, slowly gathering ideas.
Found a 20x 4.25 wheel and decided to build something around it. Not being a fan of curves, I went for straight hard lines, mainly to emphasize the large rear wheel.
So far, this is what I've got...
05082012244.jpg

05082012245.jpg

05082012243.jpg

Thinking of a 24" front, tidy up the forks (maybe longer, and tube size to match the modified forks (roughly done as a trial))
Not 100% sure on seat location as yet, or style - off to the bike shop tomorrow to see wht they've got that I like the look of that'll flow with the lines.
Opinions?
Suggestions?
Hmmmm, not sure how tall you are, or what the distance is between the crank and the top tube, but, you could run into a problem with having your knees up in your face from what I can see.
the build looks good tho.

I have an extra Schwinn Stingray OCC seat and post if you want it to use for this one.

You can put the seat wherever you want and maybe solve the distance problem, but one thing that might be annoying
is when you make the top tube wide it hits the inside of your legs when you pedal. Your probably not wanting people
to pick you build. Looks good. :wink: As you build more and more you will see changes you need to make to have them
ride good as well as look good.

Not so much pick it apart, but I do appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm 5' 10" so with the plan to have the seat mounted just in front of the rear axle line, it solves distance issues. The seat was never going to be anywhere near the top tube as that'd be far too close.
The wide top tube doesn't seem to be an issue riding so far, once the seat's in place it might make a difference tho.

I ride downhill MTB (Santa Cruz v10) and built this outta boredom and having too many tools in the shed... (yeah, I know that's a lie, can never have too many tools). With summer coming, I wanted something to hit the beach towns with.
Thanks for the offer on the OCC seat, but getting it to NZ would be a bit cost prohibitive. On that note tho, do you often find the 20" wide rears coming up for sale 2nd hand cheaply? They're a rare commodity here and I'd really like to get hold of more.

Latest posts

Back